6.5 m/m Dutch and Greek with cupro-nickel jackets

If those of you who have Dutch and Greek military cartridges in 6.5 m/m would check to see if any have cupro-nickel jackets rather than the typical CNCS type I’d be much obliged to learn their headstamps. JG

The 6.5 Dutch I know of were steel cases made by

Dutch: Thanks for the comment. I am really interested in cartridges produced between about 1910 and the beginning of World War Two either in the Netherlands or Greece or made under contract for those governments. JG

During the first world war there was a lack of steel for the production of cncs envelopes for the Dutch 6.5mm. So one of the alternatives that was tried was a cn envelope. Cartridges with the headstamp 16 X are known with this non magnetic cn envelope. (I have one in my collection…)

hope this helps,

Joost

Joost: Your answer supports what I was beginning to suspect about Dutch and also probably Greek cartridges in this period. I have a Greek 6.5 m/m dated 1920 as well as a 1916 Dutch 6.5 m/m which have cupro-nickel jackets rather than the typical CNCS. It occurred to me that perhaps the Netherlands and Greece imported the nickel-clad sheet steel from which jackets were produced from Germany and perhaps Austria before the war and that during the war years these supplies were cut off, making it necessary to obtain sheet cupro-nickel from elsewhere. JG

Just checked my other 6.5mm rounds, I also have a non magnetic ball round with the headstamp 16 U

During the first world war the Dutch also bought cncs of inferior quality, and after the production of envelopes the cn part came loose, so to prevent rust on the (now) steel envelopes these cartridges were packed in “greaseproof”?! paper in carton boxes. The headstamp of this cartridge is 18 A.

Wishes,
Joost

Joost: You beat me to it–I have a 16 U too. My next earliest round is 14 B.S. and it has the CNCS jacket. The 18 A with the peeling nickel is very interesting! Thanks, JG