6,5 x 55 training different cases?

Are pulling (whacking in the hammer) a small lot of m/44 swedish short range cartridges but have wondered over this: Norma-loaded cases are simple reused ones from all over the spectrum but most Metallverken are 54, 55 or 56 (and 026) stamped, and have brass plated cases, at least it looks like brass plating. Are these just plated for looks or are they steel* cases…?
Soren
*1 was a 1946 Karlborg (K) also brass plated.

Sweden did not use steel cases very much. During the War, they made some steel-cased 9 mm Parabellum ammunition, designated M/39E, but I don’t recall ever seeing a pre-War or Post-War steel case on any Swedish pistol cartridge or on the 6.5 x 55 mm cartridge. I am no expert on the latter, for sure, but pay attention to them, as it is about my most favorite cartridge to shooet.

Why not just test them with a magnet?

Soren, these got cleaned in acid which gives this typical finish.

Argh…
They are brass, all of them.

But: Checking the gallery round cartridges I found three steel cases: 2 with headstamp E 4 o 3 K, E for “Ersättning” = replacement, subsitute, what the germans called “Ersatz”. And one Amf 4 o 1 27 where the stamp is so badly misaligned the 1 almost goes off the edge.
Pictures tomorrow.
John, I have 5 rifles in that caliber, it is one of my favorite calibers also (Mostly Norma Golden Target)
Soren

Soren, I have only the M94 Carbine, M96 Rifle, and M38 Carbine (we would call it a rifle in the
US). I like the M96 best. It is a tack driver, even with military ammo. The 6.5 x 55 cartidge is not a powerhouse, but it is a sufficient hunting cartridge for any game in California. I would be more comfortable with larger bullets on California Black Bear, but they are not Grizzleys! It is extremely accurate inherently, and the recoil is very light. An almost perfect target-shooter’s cartridge. Plus, it offers a lot of variations for the collector too. I have a little “sneak” collection of about 24 or 25, no headstamps, just all different loadings. Nothing rare of course.

Of the originals I only have the M/96 rifle but it is still extremely precise considering it’s 105 years old… The others are a rebarelled K98k, two old Otterup/Schultz and Larsen Target rifles on K98 receivers and my newest acquisition, a Sauer 200 STR, the standard target rifle i Scandinavia today. Scandianavian target ammo is on of my collecting subjects since as you say, there is much variation.
The swedes use 6,5x55 up to the size of moose with heavy bullets (140-156 grain) which is close to the limit for them, but using an old rebuilt swede mauser helps with the precision :-)
Soren