6,5x51R Arisaka case

Who know?

Is it legal to own such cases in China ?

This collection is lawful

Welcome to the IAA Forum. You are the first collector from mainland China we have had visit.

I don’t collect 6.5mm Japanese cartridges but I do collect Chinese ammunition from before 1950 and in conjunction with Bin Shih wrote an article in the IAA Journal on the identification of Chinese headstamps. I have a 6.5mm blank made by Nanking Arsenal with that headstamp. In the clip of 5 blanks was also an unheadstamped 6.5mm blank. Usually the unheadstamped 6.5mms are considered Japanese, but I strongly suspect that China also produced rifle ammunition without headstamps.

The case with the * 13 * 9 headstamp is particularly interesting. Kynoch in England produced a similar headstamp in 8mm Lebel but with a K on top. From the letter style I would not be suprised if this was a Chinese made case, but one of our experts on this caliber may know better.

Again, thanks for visiting our Forum, and we hope to see you here often.

Cheers,

Lew Curtis
IAA President

thanks lew

I checked with Bill Woodin, probably the most knowledgable guy in this and most areas of military Small Arms Ammo. He has two similar headstamps, but no idea who made them! Sorry!

new headstamp

Tiengulden, the round on the left with the headstamp “K 17 II” was made by the famous Kynoch ammunition factory in Birmingham, England for Arisaka rifles purchased from Japan. The rifles were first purchased by England for use in training troops to shoot, and then sold to Russia. This round appears to have had another bullet fitted, because as far as I know all the Kynoch made Arisaka rounds had round nose bullets.

The rounds on the right with no headstamp and the 3 stake crimps holding the primer in place looks like a Japanese round made during or before the Second world war. This appears to have the original bullet.

I hope this helps.

[quote=“Falcon”]Tiengulden, the round on the left with the headstamp “K 17 II” was made by the famous Kynoch ammunition factory in Birmingham, England for Arisaka rifles purchased from Japan. The rifles were first purchased by England for use in training troops to shoot, and then sold to Russia. This round appears to have had another bullet fitted, because as far as I know all the Kynoch made Arisaka rounds had round nose bullets.

The rounds on the right with no headstamp and the 3 stake crimps holding the primer in place looks like a Japanese round made during or before the Second world war. This appears to have the original bullet.

I hope this helps.[/quote]
thanks Falcon

No problem. I have an example of the Kynoch round made in 1916, with round nose bullet, and the Japanese round with the pointed bullet. Sorry I can’t help on any of the other headstamps.