6.5x52 Carcano

I shook these and expected to hear a sound of a small gun powder load. None came out, how come?

Probably because they are Drill (Inert) Rounds. The wood rod fills the case, and is heavily crimped in to hold it in place. Red Coloured drill rounds made “ad Hoc” were common in both WW I and after WW II, in various calibres, in various countries.

Are the Primers “struck”,or intact? or even present?

Doc AV

Wooden bullet blank cartridges usually have a wad which keeps the powder from moving around inside the case and into the hollow projectile.
So no wonder if no sound is generated. Did you remove a bullet and check inside?

A mix of 2 headstamps
scan0094
5 Carcano

I hope to be helpful:

http://www.munizioni.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:salve&catid=18:tipi

if you look the profile of the second from the left is different from others

Seeing the Bases of the cartridges, both of 1936 origin, and Factory (Capua) but with ZG (Gaetano Zangeri) and AA ( Adolfo Adamo), two different Inspectors for that year and Factory…1936 was a Period of increased Production, just at the end of the Abyssinian Adventure ( October 35-March 36), and just before the entry into the SCW (1937)

The extra four-cut crimp could indicate a reload of Ball cases as Blank, and especially for the Breda M30 and the Revelli M14, both (still) in service in the Late 30s. ( the Semi-locked Breech of both guns would need heavily crimped Primers in Blanks to prevent Primer back-out.) The wood bullet form of blank is necessary for correct functioning of the Feed Cycle ( both “Push forward” types of feed.)

Too bad there is not a Packet with Label…it would probably have the wording, “per Mitragiatrici” ( for MGs) although they also could be used in Rifles as well. ( is the clip a “C-36” as well?).

Doc AV.

Sorry about my early hasty interpretation as “Dummy”…seen too many Danish, Dutch and Belgian Post WW II Drill rounds with Red wood Bullets…

Hello DOC AV
Excuse me if I must correct you, but the cartridges in question are only for use in rifles
The blank cartridges for use on MG for a few years they were built with the elongated neck
then they became standard with the ball called “Magistri” brass plate ball with graphite and lead
Even the “Magistri” could only be used on MG
The extra four-cut crimp could always indicated to reload Ball of cases as Blank
In confirmation of what was said at this address:
http://www.munizioni.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:scatole&catid=16:6-5-x-52-mannnlicher-carcano
you can see how the rifle cartridges bear the inscription for "fucili e moschetti " while those for machine guns (white box) can report the words "“per mitragliatrici” (tipo Magistri)