6.5x54R Dutch Mannlicher K.N.I.L. reload

I think it is a double stamp. What was the original headstamp? The entire charger is like that, the charger itself is “22 AI” if it helps.

6.5x53Rmm Mannlicher headstamp overstrikes

Cartridge cases were used more then once.
Every time They were reloaded,a mark was added to the headstamp, indicating the purpose for which the cartridge was used:
-A circle indicated re-use as a ball round
-A point indicated re-use as a blank round
-A cross indicated re-use as a gallery practice round

These marks can be found more than once,and/or combined.
At the end of their service life, cartridge cases were used in
dummy rounds.Two unknown marks sometimes encountered
in headstamp are star and a triangle.

To me it looks like: 29 (over) A which represents 1929, brass lot A; then 2A (over) 40, stamped twice. I don’t know why. I see no reloading marks in the photo.

gravelbelly

I agree that these cases, or at least four of them, started out with the headstamp 29 over A, and were subsequently loaded or reloaded in the Indies for the KNIL. The other marks indicate this provincial work; the indications of reloading employed by the continental Netherlands military were not, I believe, used by the KNIL. Jack

Thanks, Harrie, but I also (like others) see no usual reloading marks.

The Netherlands “O” and other reload marks were not used in the KNIL, which reloading carries simply the new details at 90 degrees to the old H/S.

I have FN22 cases reloaded 4 39, and sundry other variants ( 23AI etc)…all with known KNIL provenance (Imported direct from Indonesia in the 1980s).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

You are right, Doc, they are at 90 degree angle. Must have been a long and sweaty reloading operation arranging 90 degree angles under the tropical sun!!!

Reloading at Bandoeng and Soerabaya (the two KNIL facilities in Java) was carried out by native Javanese Workers, so a lot of “Hand-loading” processes were economically possible.

regards,
Doc AV

Vlad: if you find the handwork that went into these headstamps interesting, you should check out the cartridge cases that were locally produced in the Indies for the Soerabaya revolver, in which 6.5 m/m rimmed rifle cases were shortened, new rims, bases and primer pockets turned, and case mouths reamed. Many hands make light work, especially when it’s someone else’s hands. Jack