6,5x55mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer

In John Taylor’s book “American Rifles and Cartridges”, on page 182 there is this illustration of a box of 6,5x55mm from DWM.

Does anyone have a box like this and can they describe the chargers used?

Peter

Are you aware that the artist doesn’t have the right box of cartridges to illustrate the cartridge being discussed by John Taylor? Surely an innocent mistake. Jack

Jack,

Many thanks for pointing that out, if it ain’t tinware then I’m operating well outside my sphere of competence.

I’m derelict in not having the DWM case guide but I thought the 431 series was for the 6,5mm Danish Krag and its variants but that wouldn’t have precluded the cartridge being used in the M-S action … but I’m well used to the appearance of ‘artistic licence’ when it comes to illustrations in books and journals, especially when there’s engraving involved !

So, the chargers found in this sort of packaging would be the regular 6,5x55mm ones?

Peter

Peter: My assumption would be that the clips were of the Swedish 1894-96 type, but it would be well to wait and see if someone can speak with authority on this. Jack

major artistic license, as 477 is the DWM numbers for the 6.5.54 or 53.5 M-S. The 1st model MS was the 1903

I don’t think the clip illustrated is for a MS rifle but for a Mauser action. The MS clips I’m familiar with have the keeper spring on the outside. where as this looks typical Mauser, which the 6.5 Swedish was.

Now I’ve not tried charging a MS rifle with a Mauser clip so…

I don’t see any artistic license taken in this drawing at all. I have not researched the text of the book as it relates to this drawing, so my comments are only about the drawing and its absolute correctness, not about how the drawing relates to the text.

Firstly, The box is not pictured as a box for the 6.5 x 54 MS cartridge. It is plainly marked for the 6.5 x 55 Mauser, and the DWM Case number as shown on the box and headstamp are absolutely correct for that caliber. The DWM Case Register shows that number, 531C as being the case for the 6.5 mm M/96 Mauser. The M/96 Mauser is the long Mauser produced first in Germany for Sweden, and then in Sweden by Carl Gustavs Stads. I own one from the latter manufacturer. The clip pictured in the drawing with the 6.5 x 55 mm sporting cartridge has the right proportions to be the correct charger for that rifle, although not all features of the clip can be seen in a straight “side-on” view like that. I have dozens of these clips.

So, that begs the question of “where is the artistic license?” It is simply a nice drawing of cartridge, case and box for the 6.5 x 55 mm Mauser cartridge with the box plainly marked with the correct case number and caliber designation (6.5 x 55 and NOT 6.5 x 54 or 6.5 x 53), and also clealy marked that the ammunition is for the “Mauser Repetiergewehr” (Mauser repeating rifle).

Again, how that relates to the text I don’t know. I have the book, but didn’t research that part of the question.

As JM Noted forcefully, the ILLUSTRATION is of 6,5x55 Swedish Mauser Cartridges and Packet etc…The “attribution” underneath is an OBVIOUS English Mistake…only the English call the Mannlicher Schoenauer Cartridge a “.256” …every one else calls it a “6,5x54 MS” or 6,5x54 M1903 ( it should actually be M1900, but that is another story…).

Since this is from an English-language Published book, the Compiler ( author or Editor) obviously could not read German, and/or was not familiar with ammunition Packets, or was a complete ignoramus as far as ammunition was concerned…so it must have been someone other than John “Pondoro” Taylor ( who used British, German and American Ammo in his hunting and was quite knowledgeable in the field)…And since this Book is “American Rifles & Cartridges”, I would assume the mistake is due to someone in the Editorial staff of the Publisher ( Either way, British or American).

I have ( and read) Taylor’s Book on African Rifles and Cartridges, and did not find such “Mistakes” occurring there.

Doc AV

John & Doc AV
The title being for the .256 or 6.5mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer & showing a box of 6.5 Swedish Mauser is where the artistic license comes in to play.
Yes the drawing is correct & quite well done, but not for that title as Doc AV notes.

The MS is about a 1/8 " shorter than the 6.5 Swed. so I don’t know, but somehow I don’t think it would go through the rotary magazine of a MS, as all but perhaps the newer models were factory chambered for the 54mm case in the various bullet diameters offered.

This drawing, as titled, is also on page 182 of my 1948 edition of AFRICAN Rifles and Cartridges. The text underneath the drawing reaffirms he is talking about the MS rifle and not a Mauser actioned 6.5 Swedish. I think perhaps Peter did a typo in his calling the book American Rifles & Cartridges?

So call it artistic license or an innocent mistake, the collar & cuffs don’t match.

I would call that editorial license. You can’t blame the artist for someone using his drawing in the wrong context.

Yup, my mistake.

My desk is so overflowing with stuff I scanned the page, took a glance at the title and in between looking and typing I confused the two ‘A’ words, “African” it should be.

Maybe I should tidy my desk … when I next have a month off !!

I called it ‘artistic licence’ because someone took licence with the art, although ‘editorial licence’ would have served just as well.

Peter