6.5x55mm "R.W.S.1901 N."

Would this be an old hunting calibre?

Is that another butchered round?
The bullet of it definitely is.
For me, it reminds me of a 7.65x53.5 Mauser.

1 Like

Only the bullet is defaced. It actually measures 6.8x55mm, so I reckon it may be 7x54…

Could you post the whole collection, and are all of the cartridges defaced like that?

1 Like

The 6.5x55 SE is known with that hs, it doesn’t match the 7x54 RWS which is a M88 Mauser type case. It looks like a 6.5x55 type case. Remember the 6.5mm bullet diameter is actually 6.7mm.

1 Like

That’s pretty much all the defaced ones. I just picked through a pile at a show. Try to go to small local gun shows and look at big piles of military junk. Sometimes there are surprises. Many military bases with some nice old museum collections near Seattle. McChord-Lewis (JBML) , don’t miss those musea. And a real good collection at Undersea Navy Museum a bit further north. NAS Whidbey Island has open public days, you can see modern Naval aviation.

1 Like

The N stands for Norge ( Norway)
M94 ( Krag- Jorgensen Rifle).
Doc AV

1 Like

What an amazing imagination you have Doc ! It never ceases to amaze me !

However, “N” in this hs stands for the RWS factory at Nürnberg (ex-H.Utendoerffer factory) which it purchased In 1889. RWS has similar hs with “T” which represented the RWS Troisdorf factory.

Sksvlad - can you please confirmed whether this is 6.5x55 ?

3 Likes

Yes, you are right, it is 6.5x55mm. My mistake.

1 Like

Thanks, Thought we might have a new case type there for a moment !

1 Like