6,5x55mm (Swedish) military headstamps

I just rediscovered a box of Swedish wood-bulleted blank cartridges that I’d put to one side ages ago, meaning to do something with them, but failing signally. What surprises me is the variety of headstamps, how many more are there?

Norwegian and Swedish manufacturers;

Various foreign manufacturers;

Norwegian and other Swedish manufacturers;

In this picture who is ‘RP’ and who is ’ * 68’ ?

Happy collecting,

Peter

Edited once; To correct fact as new information arrived

“RP” is Raufoss Patronenfabrik, Norway perhaps not exactly the correct spelling. it is an earlier form of the factory name than “RA.”

There are other Swedish ammunition factories from the War years, but best to let a 6.5 x 55 collector answer them. While that is my favorite rifle caliber to shoot short of .44-40 Winchester, I do not collect them and am not totally conversant with how many of the ammunition factores from that time manufactured that specific caliber.

I have a French headstamp book that points to the last cartridge in your lineup with the * 68. also being Raufoss manufactured.

Joe

The first one in the second row is danish from Hærens Ammunitionsarsenal.
And the fifth in the third row is reloaded by A/S Dansk Ammunitionsfabrik Otterup.

RA and RP both refer to Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikk/Patronfabrikk in this case.
The star found on some also refer to RA/RP.

I suspect the N on the fourth cartridge of the first photograph might be a Norma case?

I suspect the wide variety of headstamps might have resulted from their possibly being processed fired cases from various sources made into blanks.

On the topic of wood bullet blanks, I have seen Swedish Model 96 and Model 38 rifles with a threaded portion on the end of the barrel. I understand that this is for attaching some device that shreds or breaks up the wooden bullet. Is that true, and if so how does it work? I have never seen one.

I noticed that Samco is still selling this ammunition in Shotgun News Feb 3 2014 for 4.9 cent a round .

I was thinking that with 800 rds per carton you should get some interesting head stamps .

Glenn

The only reference I have is taken from “The Crown Jewels, The Mauser in Sweden”, published by Collectors Grade. On pages 219-242 there is a section on 6,5x55 ammunition with a list of headstamps and factories which I’ve transcribed and present here. Even my little collection has markings that aren’t included so there may be others also.

As well as having natural or red coloured wood ‘bullets’ four of the cases have 4 shallow flutes extending from the mid-point of the case to the case shoulder, which I suspect makes them other than Swedish.

Happy collecting,

Peter

Peter, I believe these will be Norwegian.

If the above entry for 30 is correct, it refers to FN in Belgium under German occupation in WWII. DWM had been the majority sharehoder of FN before WWI and FN was called DWM Werk Lüttich (the latter being the German name for Liege/Luik).

[quote=“Stonewall”]I noticed that Samco is still selling this ammunition in Shotgun News Feb 3 2014 for 4.9 cent a round .

I was thinking that with 800 rds per carton you should get some interesting head stamps .

Glenn[/quote]

Glenn,

I bought the belted and boxes, quite a bit of it. What I received was reloads of 027, 27 and K. Really tarnished from the water hydraulic decapping process used. Thinking of just pulling the wood bullets and reloading the primed brass. The rounds in the belts are dam near impossible to get out. For some reason they have adhered to the belts. I had this same problem with British 1942 K headstamped M1906 M2 ball in cloth belts, but the problem there was a paraffin they applied to the cases cemented the belts to the cases over the years.

Joe

Joe

It would be very interesting to see pictures of this code with year dates from that WWII period.

A DWM from 1941: gotavapen.se/gota/sverige/am … dwm-41.jpg

Interesting Joe.
Thank you .

That would explain the price.

Glenn

[quote=“DennisK”]I suspect the wide variety of headstamps might have resulted from their possibly being processed fired cases from various sources made into blanks.

On the topic of wood bullet blanks, I have seen Swedish Model 96 and Model 38 rifles with a threaded portion on the end of the barrel. I understand that this is for attaching some device that shreds or breaks up the wooden bullet. Is that true, and if so how does it work? I have never seen one.[/quote]

Dennis,

There is a Flash Hider, Suppressor (not NFA recognized), Muzzle Cap / Thread Protector and the Blank Firing Adapter that went on the treads. I have all but the Suppressor. I have an extra BFA if you like you can have for the shipping. It will work, but the latch is broke. latch can be fixed if one wanted to tinker wit it. Needs to be soldered or braised. The BFA is closed at the end and shreds the wood projectiles by splintering and eliminating the splinters through several holes on the shroud. I never really understood the purpose of shredding the projectiles.

Joe

Is the second cartridge from the left in the middle row not by Polte? Jack

I would say Polte Magdebourg August 1895.

Joe

Here is a check-list of Norwegian 6,5x55 headstamps. It is not completely up to date, and the few words in it are in Norwegian, but most of it should be possible to understand.

The RA headstamps with recent years (aprox. year 2001 onwards) are produced by Nammo Lapua, Finland, for the National Rifle Association in Norway (DFS - Det Frivillige Skyttervesenet).

6,5x55 list

morten

Morten,

Cannot access it (Forbidden).

Joe

Yes, it seems that my server won’t let me add files. Need to check it tomorrow (it is night here now… :-)
morten

Posting list per Moten’s request.

Joe