6.8mm Short Magnum From MARS Inc. and Cobalt Kinetics Is Their Submission to the U.S. Army NGSW

NGSW = Next Generation Squad Weapons program

Photo below from the above The FIrearm Blog article, the MARS Inc. and Cobalt Kinetics 6.8mm cartridge is shown on the right.

I wonder if the cartridge case is stainless steel to meet the requirements for a lighter overall weight cartridge?

Some previous discussion on the U.S. Army 6.8mm NGSW-

Brian, thanks for sharing.

What it is interesting about this new US Army prototype requirement is that there are no parameteres for the cartridge case and that the 6.8 mm projectiles are provided by the Government itself (in two variants). The contractor shall also deliver proof and dummy cartridges, and primed cases.

Regards,

Fede

hello
for bdgreen ,the “6.8 cartridge” in the picture look like formed from “short ultra mag winchester” serie (standard brass nickel case probably shortened andnecked to 6.8)

Am I alone in thinking that, apart from the length of the bullet … this looks remarkably like the British 280 round, rejected over 70 years ago ?

Peter

1 Like

Peter - not at all. I’ve pointed out this idiotic beating around the bush several times.
The .280/30 has been “reinvented” several times as has the US Homologous line. Lately, with the 6,8x51 SIG cartridge, which is almost, or in my eyes completely, a rip-off of the .27 Homologous.

Ole

Looks like a Winchester 270 or 7mm WSM (Winchester Short Magmun)

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the bullet used in the three proposed 6.8mm cartridges?

6.8 should be something like 0.267 caliber in the Engllish system.

The SAAMI specification for the 6.8 mm Remington SPC shows the bullet diameter as .278-.0030" (7 mm), which is the same as for the 270 Winchester Short Magnum. Everything is possible, but I assume the proposed 6.8 mm have the same diameter.
In my view, if the new bullets were 6.8 mm in diameter, they would be very hard to tell from the many 6.5 mm caliber bullets, which mostly are 6.7 mm in diameter. The exception from the rule is the 6.5 Carcano with in fact is of 6.8 mm diameter. On the other hand, existing 7 mm calibers have 7.2 mm diameter bullets. Calling the new caliber 6.8 mm seems the natural way to me, because calling it 7 mm would also have raised confusion.

Discussed on my forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=autogun&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2Fautogun%2Fmessages&gid=16941578

“…according to the picture, the .277” cal bullet should be around 35.8 - 35.9 mm long (L/D of 5.1), with something that looks like a 2.75-3.0 calibre ogive, probably slightly secant so a i7 FF around or below 0.90 could be expected, for a G7 BC of >0.28."

Tony,

Thanks for link.

.277 it is.

The Berger 130 grain VLD has a Doppler verified (Litz) G7 of .231. Should be similar.

I wish the Bismuth core had worked out for the EPR projectiles. Did a lot more damage then the solid copper core. And less expensive.