69 musket id

i found this in one of the boxes i got. the card says" 69 musket, one of the early experimental cartridges, ball is partially exposed, - from the book, cartridges by Herschel C. Logan, pg 17.". does anyone have that book and can tell me more about it. thanks, John.

Is that paper or some sort of fabric?

heavy paper, at least thats what i think it looks like.

Jlnel–Here is the page from Logan’s book “Cartridges”. It doesn’t add much information.

in our sale 1, lot 16 we had one of these listed as a .69 Flintlock M-1837 (probable) Hingham Arsenal Mass. Also without powder.

Many paper cartridge for Civil War muzzle loading arms were later broken up to salvage the powder (and presumably the lead) for use in loading gallery practice loads or unit level reloading.

Does it appear these were cartridges which were initially loaded with powder and later had the powder removed (very neatly!) or are the examples where the cartridge paper tube was formed and the ball put in place and then tied off, but powder was never added?

PETE HAS THE CORRECT ANSWER - NUFF SAID!!!

Doesnt look to have ever been loaded. Thank you Ron, thats the page listed on the card it came with. Any idea of a value?

these examples were not loaded, although loaded examples do exist.

I can picture in my mind a room full of women at tables rolling and hand-tying these things together with string. I can imagine the powder charge was loaded later.

No imagination needed.

A large drawing on the July 20, 1861 Harper’s Weekly newspaper cover shows the ladies making the paper cartridges at Watertown Arsenal (near Boston, Massachusetts). They are clearly rolling the tubes and inserting the bullets. A second illustration below shows men carefully pouring powder charges into the tubes, done at a separate location, for safety reasons.

Hey, thats my cartridge in the hand of the second lady from the right!!! Lol

Thanks for the pics and info! This is proving to be a fun new hobby, thanks, John.