7,5 mm Patronen für Gewehrgranaten

I got this little box of 5 grenade blanks for what I would assume would be the StG 57 (Was the Schmidt rifles still in use, and could they accept muzzle-fired grenades?) some time ago. I tried finding out what the rounds look like, but I couldn’t find a designation/name.

Does anyone have pictures of the cartridges inside, and/or know their headstamp?
While searching I found this picture in an .pdf file, “Das Sturmgewehr 57 und Die Gewehrgranaten 58”:

Could this be it?

I would open it up to have a look, but since I have no clue whether these are a dime a dozen or actually worth keeping, I’ll leave it in its good un-opened condition for now.
As a relatively new collector here in Norway, I have to say it’s very hard to find un-opened boxes of anything; Norwegian collectors seem to rip up whatever cardboard gets to their hands…

Thanks in advance!

-Ole

theswissriflesdotcommessageboard … SEEXDbnaUk

Thank you for the very quick response.

• Ole

Ole,

You are welcome.

I did not make any comments earlier for two reasons, I was at work and in a hurry and this is only information I have on this cartridge.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can provide some additional information.

Brian

Ole - What is to be learned from an unopened box? A question I always ask, so forgive me. I never saw the fascination with unopened boxes since often it leaves the owner, and in some cases everyone else, in the dark about the contents.

Brian,
No problem, the link you posted was very interesting on its own. Thank you again.

John,
I guess you are right, but I’d maybe explain it with that since unopened boxes with things like 7,5 mm blanks are unusual here, it gains a kind of an sentimental value.
Now that I’ve figured out what it is, I suppose I’ll carefully open it and put one of the rounds next to my other blank rounds.
I do agree with your point about not knowing what it is - maybe it’s time for IAA to get its own x-ray machine solely for ID-ing boxes rounds?

• Ole

[quote=“tennsats”]I got this little box of 5 grenade blanks for what I would assume would be the StG 57 (Was the Schmidt rifles still in use, and could they accept muzzle-fired grenades?) some time ago. I tried finding out what the rounds look like, but I couldn’t find a designation/name.

Does anyone have pictures of the cartridges inside, and/or know their headstamp?
While searching I found this picture in an .pdf file, “Das Sturmgewehr 57 und Die Gewehrgranaten 58”:

Could this be it?

I would open it up to have a look, but since I have no clue whether these are a dime a dozen or actually worth keeping, I’ll leave it in its good un-opened condition for now.
As a relatively new collector here in Norway, I have to say it’s very hard to find un-opened boxes of anything; Norwegian collectors seem to rip up whatever cardboard gets to their hands…

Thanks in advance!

-Ole[/quote]

The “Markierpatrone” is a noise blank, not a propulsive cartridge. Those green plastic ones are very common.

gravelbelly

Thank you very much for sharing gyrojet, those are some great photographs. I wasn’t aware of those shorter-than-usual Schmidt magazines, reminds me of the ones used in the later AK-type grenade launching magazines.

• Ole

There was also a special all-brass dummy for use with the blocked magazine, they are marked: GW MANIP TREIB-PAT and packed in a red charger with a wooden packing piece. The charger seems to be an oddity as the live rounds have no equivalent charger!

gravelbelly