7.5mm Swiss tracer

Can anybody identify this Swiss tracer? It is not in my possession however I have been advised that the bullet has been pulled and appears to be a lead-cored boat-tailed ball and possibly not a tracer. However the bullet has the night identification rings typically found on Swiss tracers. It also has a knurled rim - a feature I haven’t seen before on Swiss cartridges.

I can’t speak for this speciic round, but a knurled rim, in Europe, usually identifies a proof cartridge. There are other identifiers used for proof loads as well, and sometimes the same factory will use two or three different. I suspect it has something to do with the wishes of the end user of the ammunition of any given contract.

If no one has a definitive answer on this specific round, later I will try to research it. I simply can’t at the moment.

Thanks John. It does seem to be a bit of a mish-mash of markings though…and I’d be surprised to find a tracer bullet in a proof round.

John Moss is on the right track.

According to Cartridge Headstamps of Switzerland 1867 - 1985 it is a proof cartridge.

It’s a little book on headstamps, so no other data are given.

Thanks Defender.

A proof round does not necessarily have to be for weapon proof, it could be for proof of the tracer bullet, i.e. it traces for the correct length and meets accuracy specification.

Regards
TonyE

Jim, this is a proof cartridge designated “7,5 mm Waffenbeschusspatrone”. Here is a box label for identical rounds headstamped T T 83.

Jim - My answer was based partly on your statement that the bullet appeared to have a lead core at the base and was "possibly not a tracer. That statement coupled with the possibility that the basic tracer bullet envelope was chosen for its weight when with a completely lead core, or its bullet markings to denote a special loading, or any other of a myriad of reasons, along with the knurled rim, a common feature of European proof loads, guided my answer.

Excellent result! Thank you all.