7.5x53 Rubins

Got these two early Rubin rounds this weekend. As you can see, one is rimmed, the other rimless. I also have an example of the later necked round. I can’t seem to find much on my shelf on these two rounds. Any interesting comments appreciated.

3 Likes

Here some documentation out of my library. It seems you have two beauties, there.

1 Like

Thanks, great info!

its from your library…but you should cite the source…the auction catalogues from Manfred Beutter (deceased),
who did a lot of work for his catalogues and for the collectors fraternity
pp

Yes, my mistake. You’re absolutely right on that.

I’m not happy with the primers in jonnyc examples, the 7.5mm VGP M1885 should have the same Swiss type of primer as shown in the 7.9mm VGP M1885 information duqjans provided.
English manufactured rounds for the 1888 Lee Metford trials had very small copper primers.

Tony

The bullets look too short also

1 Like

It should be fairly easy to determine if the projectiles are original as there should be two opposing ‘seams’ (looking like faint scratches) along the vertical length of the bullet and sometimes what looks like a minute lead tip

The rimmed has longitudinal scratches, and the rimless has a vague lead-ish tip, so it’s a bit of a wash. They came from the collection of a pretty knowledgeable older collector, so with no conclusive info, I’ll lean towards legit (of course).

Maybe these got pulled at some point and projs. were reseated too deep?

As there is a good source: fine measurement will sort things out?

Here are three a rimless and two troop trial variations, middle one being a drill.
Lengths are:
rimless 3.056" / 77.66 mm
rimmed drill 3.073" / 78.03 mm
rimmed live 3.071" / 78.02 mm

1 Like

The small British Primer was actually a Boxer Primer, and the very first Mark I BP .303 used this…soon changed to the .250" Berdan Primer to better ignite the Mk II Cordite cartridge, and the rest is history.
Doc AV

FWIW, my Rimless is 73.83mm and the Rimmed is 73.76mm O/A length.