7.6 R mm minnicout

I have a round I am having trouble identifying. My cartridge board call it a 7.6 Rmm minnicout. I can’t find it in any of my other books. Looks like it was used in the Steyr Mannlicher M 1894. need help

Ryaussy - you have not given much information to go on. For instance, what is the length of the cartridge case. Are we dealing here with an obvious pistol cartridge, or with a rifle cartridge? There was a Model 94 Mannlicher pistol that used a cartridge generally designated as the 7.60 Mannlicher or 7.6 Mannlicher. It has a nominal case length of 23.9 mm (roughly 0.942"). I have never heard or seen it referred to as the 7.6R Minnecout, although it is a rimmed cartridge.

There was a 6.50 x 23,4R mm version of it for a pistol of the same Model Designation, Model 1894, also by Mannlicher and also a rimmed case. Both handguns were self-loading pistols.

Of course, I am going on little supplied information, and your round could be something else completely.

The mannlicher M1894 pistol (note: not Steyr Mannlicher, although Steyr manufactured some of these pistols, the other factory involved in their production was SIG) was chambered for the 6.50 and 7,60 mm round.
Both these rounds had straight rimmed cases about 23 mm long and long round nosed bullets. Never seen the 7.60 mm cartridge listed as “minnicout”

I got the name from a cartridge comparison guide poster. the length of case .938—rim dia .396----bullet dia .311 headstamp top 97— star on both sides— bottom K&C. It is rimmed straight wall handgun case. never heard of the minnicout name eather. when I look up 7.63 mannlicker, 7.65 manlicker they are rimless cases. PIVI you got it 7.6mm long bullet. Not in any of my books does it have another name

Whether you will find it in your books or not depends on the books you have. Many cartridge books are aimed only at calibers frequently encountered. The cartridge is covered in Erlmeier and Brandt, "Handbuch der Pistolen- und Revolver- Patronen, published in 1967 by J. E. Erlmeier Verlag, Wiesbaden, as well as in “Center Fire Metric Pistol and Revolver Cartridges,” by White and Munhall, published by the Infantry Journal Press, Washington, 1948. I am sure it is in other newer sources as well.

Among collectors of auto pistols and auto pistol calibers, it and the 6.50 Mannlicher are very well known cartridges. Among shooters, especially younger ones, one could probably say that both are unknown. The pistols for them are very rare. In a lifetime of study of auto pistols, their accessories and ammunition, I have only seen two 7.60 Mannlicher pistols and one in caliber 6.50. That is not to say that there are not more know - those are simply ones that I have actually seen, rather than just pictures of them.

The guns themselves are covered in the fairly new book “Vom Ursprung der Selbstladepistole,” by Josef Mõtz and Joschi Schuy, published in Austria in 2007. It is a monumental volume on pistols made and used in Austria, and is due to be followed by other volumes of the same series title. There is also a little bit about the cartridge, with excellent pictures of guns, cartridges, chargers, etc. Some knowledge of the German Language is helpful for this book.

It is covered in two books on Mannlicher Pistols, the second one, by W.H.B. Smith and long out of print, is primarily nothing more than an English translation of the first one.

In short, there is plenty of information available on this cartridge.

I gave some of the names of the cartridge. It has also been called the 7.8 mm Mannlicher M.1894 as well as "Scharfe Rep. Pist. Patrone, System Mannlicher.

In reviewing the source material I have mentioned above this morning, I found no mention of the word " minnecout." Right now, without documentation, I would consider that nomenclature as being simply wrong.

I agree the name minnicout is a mystery. so is it a 7.6mm mannlicher or 7.8 mannlicher or both. Thanks for your help

Perhaps “minnicout” is merely “Mannlicher” jumbled up by faulty typing and/or inattention. I say this because in my long-ago youth I bought a book on World War One aviation which mentioned a certain Fokker airplane in the Austro-Hungarian service being armed with a “Madschlinger” automatic rifle. It took me years to figure out that they were trying, and failing, to write “Mannlicher.” The pen is mightier than the sword only when it can spell! Jack

Ryaussy - evidently, both of those names have been used. All my collecting life, I have never heard it described as a “7.8” cartridge. I have always heard one or another of 7.6 or 7.60 designations. Austrian material on the guns and ammo seems to favor the 7.60 appellation. Personally, I feel that in light of the common usage, found even in period documents from Austria, that the 7.8 designation is simply wrong, and muddies the waters between that cartridge and the much better known 7.8 Bergmann cartridge.

I would stick with 6.50 mm Mannlicher M94 and 7.60 mm Mannlicher M94 as the best formal name for the rounds, and simply 6.50 Mannlicher and 7.60 Mannlicher in conversations about these rounds that might ensue.

Just my humble opinion. I think you can forget all about the “minnicout” business. I gather the chart you are referring to is one prepared relatively currently and not from an Austrian source. Does anyone reading this Forum know if that word has any translateable menaing into English? I cannot find it in any of my European language dictionaries, but of course, none of them are unabridged.

I sent off an email to the cartridge comparison guide company, the name came from there HANDGUN CARTRIDGE POSTER and asked then where they got the name minnicout from. May not hear back from them. I will label it 7.60 Mannlicker. Thanks for the help