7.62 Crate?

Gentlemen, looking for conformation as to what should be in this crate according to stenciling?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe - I would think it would be Czech 7.62 x 39 headstamped “bxn” (Sellier & Bellot) although since I don’t collect rifle calibers, and don’t know when they starting making 7.62 x 51, I am not certain of the caliber. The other points I am. I have a virtually identical crate for 9 mm Para.

1962 or 1963 Czech silver tip 7.62x54R was what I was thinking.

joe

I was thinking the “7,62-59” was designation for Type 59 (LPS) ammo adopted in 1959. 39 boxes of 20 round boxes containing silver tipped rounds?? Just guessing.

joe

[quote=“xjda68”]I was thinking the “7,62-59” was designation for Type 59 (LPS) ammo adopted in 1959. 39 boxes of 20 round boxes containing silver tipped rounds?? Just guessing.

joe[/quote]
correct, M59(7.62x54r) LPS, 80th lot, 1962, loader bxn, steel cases (fe). JH

Hey! I finally got something right.

Thanks Jim.

Vz59 ( 7,62x54R, LPS) Steel Case, Powder made by nma (Esplosia NP), Tube Powder, 1,2mm Diameter x 1,2mm Long by 0,4mm Hole… Ie, wall thickness 0,4mm.

Doc AV

[quote=“DocAV”]Vz59 ( 7,62x54R, LPS) Steel Case, Powder made by nma (Esplosia NP), Tube Powder, 1,2mm Diameter x 1,2mm Long by 0,4mm Hole… Ie, wall thickness 0,4mm.

Doc AV[/quote]

Doc, vZ59, do the Czech’s usually refer to cartridges by the date of acceptance? Also the “Vz” before each designation?

Joe, vz = model (pattern), and yes, usually the figure is giving the year of adoption.

Further Markings (Czech) translation…tbpl-Fe Tombak plated Iron (Steel) Case…Tombak…Gilding Metal or plain, hardened copper ( ie, 95/05, where the zinc is considered an “impurity” to toughen the Copper).

Whilst classical Czech Warsaw Pact ammo is Grey, Lacquered, Bonderised steel, they also made typical clones of the Russian “Copper washed”/roll plated steel cases.

BTW, the crate is a standard Czech crate, already used before WW II for 7,9x57 ammo and also Pistols and SMG ammo…when you have a good design, why change…???

DocAV