7.62 mm Nagant Revolver Subcaliber

Here is something very interesting that I haven’t seen before: a subcaliber device for 7.62 mm Nagant revolvers designed by G. E. Vishnyakov in 1927. I’m not aware of any examples of the adaptor cartridges.

How did it work? I can’t figure it out from these drawings. I checked Russian Wikipedia. There is no Vishnyakov with G.E. initials. So no help there. This device appears to breach the space between the cylindre and the barrel. Very unusual.

Fede, if this is from a patent then it does not neccessarily having been made in reality but that you certainly know.

Fede,

Very interesting drawing. Thanks for sharing that.

Cartridge-wise, it seems there is a common adaptor cartridge and three types of sub-adaptors for different blanks (.22, 4mm, etc.)?

For those familiar with the host revolver:

As far as the rest of the assembly goes, it would appear the barrel is held at the muzzle by some form of bushing (perhaps elastomeric?) and is inserted through the rear of the frame. I’m not familiar with the axial dynamics of the Nagant’s cylinder and and associated gas sealing mechanism, but is the breach face within the frame easily removed for such an installation?

Thanks,
Dave

Nagant revolver M1895 is the only revolver in which the cylinder travels forward thus creating a hard seal between the mouth of the cartridge and the proximal end of the barrel, after the firing the cylinder goes backward. This is the only revolver which can be made truly silent, all others always have a space between the barrel and the cylinder.

DaveE:
I dug out my Nagant revolver and here is my two cents worth: The revolver must be thoroughly disassembled to install this kit. This includes removing the hammer and the cam that pushes the cylinder forward. Then the subcaliber barrel is inserted through the opening for the cylinder cam, across the space for the cylinder and into the barrel where it is secured by the adapter muzzle nut. Once I had the revolver in my hand, the drawing made perfect sense. The dotted line drawing of the rear of the adapter barrel is shown as it is being threaded through the frame where the cylinder cam is normally located.

This is probably another one and only for the Nagant due to the unusual cylinder camming mechanism. I just got a little Harbour Freight toy bench lathe and now I am tempted to dig out an old .177 pellet gun barrel and build a primer propelled version of this adapter.

Curt

Curt,

Thank you for that input. A truly interesting revolver design that allows for such a unique adaptor setup. One has to wonder if it was ever marketed if it involved significant dis- and re-assembly of closely fitted parts.

I think these kind of threads are great as no doubt there are items in the “not sure, but might be cartridge related” cigar boxes of many collectors that are true collectable items that just need a little documentation.

Dave

EOD, I agree that just because there is a patent there is no proof it exists in reality, however in this time frame Patent models were often required to demonstrate the concept. Sometimes they were made of wood rather than metal, but for something like this, I suspect at least a model and more likely a working model was made.

Really a neat item. Wish I had one!

Thanks Fede!

Cheers,
Lew

I am not sure about the rest of the world, but according to my information, the US abolished the legal requirement to submit a model of an invention in 1870. The USPTO “ignored” this and continued to require that a model be submitted until 1880, although some inventors continued to submit models up into the early 20th century…

Randy

Randy, Your expertise is clearly better than my random knowledge. I know I have seen patent models from the 20s but that is all. I have no idea when they were actually required.

It might interest some that the Browning Museum in Ogden UT told me that they have it on good authority that Browning built a functioning wooden model of each of his guns and used these models to figure out the actual design functioning before he cut metal. As far as the museum knew when I spoke with them about 5 years ago, there is only one such model known and that is of a shotgun. The museum was very keen to obtain it, at least on loan. I have wondered if Browning also made wooden model cartridges for his model guns???

Cheers,
Lew