7.62 NATO Ball round origin with red annulus circular crimp?

Completely non magnetic, brass primer. has nice neck annealing visible and roll knurled cannelure where projectile is crimped at neck.

Thanks for looking and helping if possible.

Joe, it was made at Kaohsiung, Taiwan. This is not a covert or discrete contract but standard production headstamp.

OK, so then I had this one below labeled as Mars Equipment Company Taiwan. Is that correct or not?

Looks like something AMRON did.

Here are two 7.62 NATO rounds that I have listed as coming from Amron for comparison. I don’t have a box or other “hard” proof of the origin however. Both have GMCS projectiles and knurled crimping cannelures.

Those last two rounds were made by Amron for sure. I don’t know of any Taiwan connection. They appeared briefly on the commercial market. I want to say they were in Centennial Arms boxes, from Chicago, but this is out of my field and I am going by memory from a long, long time ago, so I will hedge that with a “maybe.” There is no “maybe” about the Amron manufacture, though.

OK fellas, Thanks to all for the help. I will list this last one as Amron. I have a couple of others, but they have no headstamsp at all, so there is no point posting for identification. They look like the Amron round without a headstamp.

joe

Were these Amron cartridges in this calibre intended for military use or were they for the commercial market?

John, you are right, these cases made by Amron with headstamp 308 1 and 308 69 can be found in boxes distributed by Centennial Arms Corp. of Lincolnwood, Illinois, but as far as I know these were only offered loaded with 150 and 180 gr. soft point bullets. On the other hand, both headstamps can also be found loaded with a FMJ bullet in boxes distributed by Mars Equipment Corp. of Chicago, Illinois, a company better known for importing Spanish CETME rifles. I have no idea if they had a relation with Taiwan, or if any other company offered cartridges with these headstamps.

This ad by Mars was published in January 1968:

OK, so is there a slight possibility that AMRON made .308 casings that Taiwan bought and loaded, then distributed by Mars? Maybe Even passing through the hands of Centennial Arms Corp. of Lincolnwood, Illinois?

Yea, like we are ever going to track that transaction down. How do you get a cartridge to talk again?

I am going to leave it as Fuller has it marked. “1969 AMRON, Mars Equipment Corp., Taiwan”

Thanks for all the input,

joe

Joe, I ignore if Amron had a contract with the Taiwanese government but the headstamp style chosen suggests that this may have been in fact a contract for Taiwan, or at least intended to be. The only non standard aspect would be using a headstamp having a Gregorian calendar date (69 = 1969) and not a Minguo calendar date, which was used in some Taiwanese cartridges at least until 1981 (70 = 1981). The 308 69 headstamp certainly indicates a Gregorian date and not a Minguo date, which would be equivalent to 1980 and thus anachronic to Amron’s production.

By the way, the earliest Taiwanese headstamp I have seen in 7.62x51 showing a Gregorian date is 7·62 81; does anyone knows of an earlier example?

I have 7.62 66.

I don’t know if the date is based on the Gregorian or Minguo calendar.

NATO Dave

Dave, thanks for posting these. The one headstamped 7·62 66 shows Minguo calendar date corresponding to 1977.

Joe & Dave, the cartridge headstamped 7·62 82 is probably the most common date because in 1982 it was imported by Connecticut Cartridge Company, Southport. Boxes are labeled: “7.62 mm NATO Ball M80” and “Manufactured by: HHC Ltd., Taipei Taiwan Republic of China”, which is actually the exporter company.

Fede
Thanks for the additional information - I have the empty box in my collection but now know the cartridge that goes with it.

I have a cartridge headstamped 60A 7.62 57 which I believe is Taiwanese. I’ve always thought that this seemed very early for a non-NATO made 7.62mm cartridge. If the origin is correct then the Minguo calendar date would correspond to 1968 which seems far more likely. Assuming this cartridge is from Taiwan, when did the headstamp change from 3 postion to 2 position?

NATO Dave

Dave, yours was made in 1968 and would be the earliest production for the newly made Type 57 rifles (licensed M14).

The Taiwanese “60A” factory code in a three position headstamp was used at least until 1973 (62) and in some calibers was used in a two position headstamp at least until 1976 (65). It seems that the last known use of a Minguo date is different with every caliber made at Kaohsiung (e.g. 5.56, 7.62, .30, .30 Carbine & .45) but was used at least until 1981 (70).