7.62 Nato

I have a few 7.62 Nato rounds with US h/s that I’m questioning as to if they were actually made by the arsenals. The cartridges look like a standard round but no primer, but they do have a flash hole. My question is were dummy’s made with flash holes?
Carolyn

Carolyn

Telling or showing the headstamp (or the entire cartridge) would help but, yes, dummy rounds were often made with reclaimed or salvaged cases and bullets. The hs date may or may not indicate the year of manufacture.

Ray

Hi Ray
These are the 4 cartridges that I’m questioning
LC 72 MATCH, standard bullet, flash hole
FA 71, Nato symbol, standard bullet, remnants of primer sealant & full ring crimp, flash hole
TW 67, Nato symbol, orange tipped tracer bullet, remnants of primer sealant & full ring crimp, flash hole
LC 62, Grenade blank, Nato symbol, flat brass primer, red sealant, full ring crimp,1 hole in case wall about .625 up from head

Carolyn

Carolyn

I can’t say positively but I would guess that those cartridges were made by someone outside any US Ordnance Plant. Possibly as function dummies for gunsmith use? Remnants of primer crimps and seal, and tracer bullets just do not sound like things you’d expect to find on authentic US Military dummies. The only one that may be real is the Grenade Cartridge but only someone familiar with Grenade dummies could say for certain.

Maybe someone else can offer an opinion?

Ray