7.62 Russian mosin clip

Did some US company manufacture steel clips for 7.62 Mossin ctges
around 1923 or only British companies manufacture them ?
Thanks
JP

Have you a photo of the British made clip?..just asking as there is a very rare Mk5 .303" charger that is very similar to Mosin Nagant clip.

Tony

no.
but i have a drawing

jp

1 Like

Excellent drawing…original Russian dimensions in Liniie…1/10 inch…easily transferable to Decimal inches

But makes metrication difficult…like the Mosin rifles, the clips remained in Imperial measurement till end of production…which may explain why some aftermarket replicas don’t work due to incorrect tolerances in converting inch to metric dimensions.

I assume this design is British from WW I? With both inch and metric dimensions…and word “steel” referring to clip details.
Russia (USSR) did adopt metric system in 1920 circa but Items predating this remained in Inches.
Doc AV

therefore it is british rather than american.
Here are the marks to be engraved on it :
chargeur
This drawing was received in 1923
jp

1 Like

JP,

Is this a SFM drawing? Does information including in the drawing indicate from whom the drawing was received?

Thanks,

Brian

yes it is a sfm drawing copying an british drawing and it was received in 1923.
jp

1 Like

Jeanpierre,

Thank you for the information.

Brian

From memory, all my files are buried away in storage, this was taken from an original Kynoch drawing. The use of the word “charger” on the drawing is indicative of a British source.

There were about a dozen British makers of these chargers although a paper drawn up for the Cabinet mentions some that I’ve never seen markings from, these might have been sub-contractors as British output of 7,62x54R was huge and there were often shortages of chargers, ammunition cases or bulk packaging.

The only US producer of chargers that I know of was Winchester, theirs have two stamped holes in the base, one towards each end.

Peter.

2 Likes

thanks
jp

This was taken from a Woolwich drawing of the Mark I charger dated September 9, 1916, with modifications up to April 6, 1921.

1 Like

The major US maker of 7.62x54R in WWI was Western
Cartridge of East Alton, Illinois. (Frost). Whether they made clips themselves or had Winchester (east coast) make them is unknown to me.

Doc AV

To everybody that has input to this post!!
I have about 6 of those clips they are brass coated without any markings and one
made from steel Winchester?? with 2 holes in the bottom I always considered
them so much junk I am some what shocked what I am reading.The one from
steel fits the drawing.Do they have any value???
Sherryl

If anyone has an example of 7.62 x 54R cartridges made by Western Cartridge Company during WW1 could they please post a photo here? Remington and Winchester made many millions of cartridges. The earliest I have seen made by Western is headstamped WESTERN 20 (Made for Finland?)
Randy

Randy, do you have an image of the “WESTERN 20” headstamp?

Please see attached scans:
62%20HS%2010001
WESTERN 20
62%20HS%2020001
WESTERN 20 with ring crimped primer
62%20HS%2030001
WESTERN 40 (also made for the Finns, I believe)

Randy

I should also have included that the WESTERN 20 's are Berdan primed.
62%20SECTIONED0001

Randy

Randy, great headstamps! Thanks a lot!

Not only did the Winchester? or Western? have holes in the bottom it was shorter. This one is 64.14 mm long.

Western packet, image from the internet, 7.62 x 54r.net. I’ll bet the cartridges have WESTERN 20 headstamp. What would be the translation of the Cyrillic? characters?

Randy