7.62 Russian mosin clip

Did some US company manufacture steel clips for 7.62 Mossin ctges
around 1923 or only British companies manufacture them ?
Thanks
JP

Have you a photo of the British made clip?..just asking as there is a very rare Mk5 .303" charger that is very similar to Mosin Nagant clip.

Tony

no.
but i have a drawing

jp

Excellent drawing…original Russian dimensions in Liniie…1/10 inch…easily transferable to Decimal inches

But makes metrication difficult…like the Mosin rifles, the clips remained in Imperial measurement till end of production…which may explain why some aftermarket replicas don’t work due to incorrect tolerances in converting inch to metric dimensions.

I assume this design is British from WW I? With both inch and metric dimensions…and word “steel” referring to clip details.
Russia (USSR) did adopt metric system in 1920 circa but Items predating this remained in Inches.
Doc AV

therefore it is british rather than american.
Here are the marks to be engraved on it :

This drawing was received in 1923
jp

JP,

Is this a SFM drawing? Does information including in the drawing indicate from whom the drawing was received?

Thanks,

Brian

yes it is a sfm drawing copying an british drawing and it was received in 1923.
jp

Jeanpierre,

Thank you for the information.

Brian

From memory, all my files are buried away in storage, this was taken from an original Kynoch drawing. The use of the word “charger” on the drawing is indicative of a British source.

There were about a dozen British makers of these chargers although a paper drawn up for the Cabinet mentions some that I’ve never seen markings from, these might have been sub-contractors as British output of 7,62x54R was huge and there were often shortages of chargers, ammunition cases or bulk packaging.

The only US producer of chargers that I know of was Winchester, theirs have two stamped holes in the base, one towards each end.

Peter.

thanks
jp

This was taken from a Woolwich drawing of the Mark I charger dated September 9, 1916, with modifications up to April 6, 1921.

The major US maker of 7.62x54R in WWI was Western
Cartridge of East Alton, Illinois. (Frost). Whether they made clips themselves or had Winchester (east coast) make them is unknown to me.

Doc AV