7.62 something? Update: Answered - 7.62X54R Hungarian

Got these two cases. No clue as to contents. Have had them for a few years and recently re-found them. Anybody able to decipher the writing and color bands will get first dibs when put on the market.

[/img]

I know what’s in the top box.

The marking style on the box is Hungarian, so I’d expect them to be 7.62x39 or 7.62x54, but the top box has type-identifier stripes I don’t recognize (silver over yellow?).

I believe both are Hungarian 7.62x54R. Pretty sure the top is steel-cored heavy ball, and the bottom is light ball.

Jon,

The top box is marked “7.62 x 51mm.” It is probably German for the blue plastic training cartridges (short range), although I am certainly not sure of that. It is sure the it is 7.62 NATO though, and not a Soviet caliber.

As mentioned, the contents of the top box are known.
[/img]

John,
I think he meant the chocolate cookie outsides, not the middle of the Oreo.

• @ slick rick: Both wooden crates [top & bottom] are Hungarian made and contain 7.62X54R ammo with steel cartridge cases, ammo manufactured by the State plant “21” (“Veszprem” - which made small caliber ammo) and loaded with type “VT” propellant that had been made by the Hungarian plant “51” [propellant data: lot “7” from 1974 - top crate and lot “2” from 1987 - bottom crate]. The ammo from the top crate is dated 1975 and the ammo from the bottom crate is dated 1987. I hope this helps, Liviu 01/19/09 P.S. I cannot identify the type of 7.62X54R ammo from the top box but the 7.62X54R ammo from the bottom box has “LPS” type bullets [light ball with mild steel core].

Thanks Liviu, as well as all the guessers. Didn’t want to break the “seal” if it could be avoided. Next questions: Priceless? Corrosive? Anybody need it? Guess I should save some for my M44 and Dragunov Tiger. What with the end times coming.

• @ slick rick: It’s good ammo but I assume is corrosive. I’m sure a few years from now this ammo will worth much more, you never know what dark times are ahead … Liviu 01/19/09

OK - I see it now. I guess it is just old senile fat men that are baffled by confusing pictures.

The NATO box contains Norwegian (aluminium head), not German (brass head) short range cartridges.

John

Old skinny bald headed guys have their moments as well. Ask my family.

First crate with the silver and yellow stripes are 7.62x54r steel cored heavy ball. This type is unique to Hungary and Czechoslovakia, but only Hungary used the silver (steel core) and yellow (heavy/long range) color codes. This is/was common shooter ammo, but surely worth a lot more now than when you bought it!

Some shooters really like how it performs in their particular rifles, especially the M-44’s for some reason. Save the LPS ball for the Dragunov. I’ve been told that heavy ball is not supposed to be used in them…but that could just be internet myth.

AKMS

Also, I believe GZS indicates copper washed cases while a GSZ marking would be polymer coated cases, which are found in some of the later dated ammo with both bullet types. JH

AKMS

Really appreciate the insight. Will test some when it warms up. Have yet to put a round thru the M44. Anxious now.

Postings by and the webpage of 7,62X54r have piqued my interest in the M44 even more. Better get while the gettin’s good. The majority of that series pictured on the webpage is currently very inexpensive. Second only to the T34 tank in securing Rooskie territory. Over a century of history! The M91 predates the '98 for gosh sakes. And lots more ammo out there for them as well.

On an acquisition side note, I offer the following:
These cases of ammo were left in my care with every intention of future use. Have a few other cases and cans of other stuff like this, left to my disposal. The use of my range was free to all comers. The majority of the beneficiaries of my generosities were appreciative to varying degrees. Some allowed for one or two samples out of a box, others left larger quantities. Lot’s of it depended on services rendered, with the big shoots resulting in case lots as pictured. The smaller offerings were generally dropped in a box or drawer, where they still reside, generally. All that to say it was a great way to add variety to my ‘‘collection’’.

slick rick,

My son has a M-44 and I have a 91/30. I really like his better! My interest in the 7.62x54r cartridge actually led me to buy these Mosin-Nagants in the first place. It’s a great way to actually compare cartridge variations in the collection, and a good excuse to by more ammo… Being a lefty, I never was interested in bolt actions. I must say that the M-44 is a beast to shoot with heavy ball, but the looks we get at the range are priceless. Huge fireball and impressive muzzle blast! If you ever get around to opening and emptying these tins, I’d like to add them to my collection if you could open them from the bottom.

AKMS

“The NATO box contains Norwegian (aluminium head), not German (brass head) short range cartridges”.

Sorry Hans, Think these are German plastic training rounds. Difficult to see on the small photo. A box label? A headstamp? Thanks
Wishes, Jan

Jan

Here are pics of the 500 and 50 round packaging, along with a headstamp. In case the h/s doe not show up well, it reads DAG (12 o’clock) and 7.62 X 51 (6 o’clock.) Green annulus. I’d say it was aluminum.

[/img]

[/img]

Jan, I bow my head …

Slick rick, thanks for the photo’s, this label isn’t in my collection.

Hans, its closer to my collecting field than yours but probably good for a beer in a few month’s.
Wishes, Jan