7.62 Tokarev Subsonics?

Fede,
What is the source of that picture? My first impression is that it is a bullet stuck into a fired case. It might just be distortion in the photo, but the bullet looks canted and the case mouth does not look correct. It would be nice to see the Tokarev round next to an unfired cartridge. I would doubt that the pictured round is for the silencer-equipped TT pistol above, as it obviously would not fit in the magazine.

Jon, it is illustrated in a Russian publication about the development of the VSS and AS suppressed rifles and ammunition. Bullet is described as coming from a 7.62 x 54 R.

Thanks, sounds vaguely familiar. I may have seen the info and pic before.

This is the first experiment for a silenced cartridge which reulted in the 9x39.
Initially they tried the 7.62x25 but found it to be too short ranged/too weak. Then they went to the 7.62x28 which did better. Then the specs for the intended weapon got changed and a cartridge for longer range and higher projectile energy was demanded. This led to the 9x39 cartridge.

So the 7.62x25 here is no “TT” anymore and was not intended for pistols.

[quote=“EOD”]This is the first experiment for a silenced cartridge which reulted in the 9x39.
Initially they tried the 7.62x25 but found it to be too short ranged/too weak. Then they went to the 7.62x28 which did better. Then the specs for the intended weapon got changed and a cartridge for longer range and higher projectile energy was demanded. This led to the 9x39 cartridge.

So the 7.62x25 here is no “TT” anymore and was not intended for pistols.[/quote]

And on this picture it’s just sport EXTRA bullet in TT case. There were manufactured only 10K of original heavy bullets for subsonic 7.62x25 which all were fired and no one original specimen is known. And cases were not TT cases but similar to TT cases without headstamps.

Jon,

Here is a picture of the 7.62x28.

Paul

Thanks, I’ll take it!

Hello Yuri, thanks you very much. Dou you have a picture or drawings of the “not TT case but similar to TT case without headstamp”.

No, but there were no difference in dimensions.