7.62 x 25 Tokarev Ammo ID Help Needed

Hey Guys,

Yesterday at a small local show, I was helping my buddy out at his tables. Another mutual friend wanted to dump some 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo he had. He had repacked it all in plastic 50 round boxes, save one original packet which I took. I took a few loose rounds too so I didn’t have to open the packet.

So I want to identify the ammo, and couldn’t find the headstamp in my couple of headstamp ID books. The packets are 16 round paper wrapped tied with tan twine. There is a label in cyrillic on it, so I assume its Russian, or Yugo, or Romanian or some such. The headstamp is a 5-pointed star at 12:00 o’clock, a “3” (or possibly a “9”) at 9:00 o’clock, a “10” at 3:00 o’clock, and a “53” (or possibly a “63”) at 6:00 o’clock. No case mouth or primer annulus sealant.

I can get pics of the headstamp and packet if needed…

TIA,

Mike

No need, it’s Bulgarian.

Thanks for the quick response! What gives it away…the way I sort of understood 7.62x25 headstamps, it seems usual (as for other combloc ammo) the year of production is typically at 6 o’clock, with factory code at 12 o’clock, and misc marks at 3 and 9 (like stars and such). What does the marks on this Bulgie ammo mean? Is “10” the factory code?

ETA Oh, just thought I’d mention the bullet is secured with 3 equidistant stab crimps…

That is some really poor ammo.My shooting records state “Really bad,bulged primers.split cases,6 split in 24 fired,supposedly damaged some CZ 52 Pistols (and thats a tough pistol) very dirty crap”.

Just a few words to the wise.

Yes, the 10 is for Kazanlak. Not sure what the 3 or * are supposed to signify.

[quote=“majorbeau”]That is some really poor ammo.My shooting records state “Really bad,bulged primers.split cases,6 split in 24 fired,supposedly damaged some CZ 52 Pistols (and thats a tough pistol) very dirty crap”.

Just a few words to the wise.[/quote]

Thanks for th warning, but I just bought it to put in my collection…I have some good Chinese stuff to put through my CZ-52 when I shoot it…

unfortunately I have WAY too much

Just to add to this: Yes this stuff from 52 or 53 is very bad, at least for pistols. It is reported to generate around 46,000 c.u.p.!

There used to be a write-up on it with a warning here:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm

but the link is dead now.

In my opinion, the “3” on the headstamp is not a numeral but rather the Cyrillic letter “Z” and I believe it stands for “Zavod” or the Bulgarian equivalent if not the same as Russian in this case. Together with the ten on the other side of the primer it would read “Factory 10.” I believe the star signifies a brass case. That is what the star on Bulgarian 7.9 x 57m/m ammo from Kazanlak signifies.

By the way, while “Kazanluk” seems to be an acceptable transliteration of the name in Cyrillic, the fact is that in all “Arsenal” (the actual name of Factory 10) literature I have seen, they spell it “Kazanlak.”

And get this, the guy we purchased this ammo from bought it to put through his BROOMHANDLE MAUSER!!!

There wouldn’t be much left if he actually tried it!

Like I said, I am not going to shoot it, just put the packet in my collection…

Speaking of bad 7.62x25mm, I recall hearing a rumor about one of the years of Romanian surplus being really bad. I think it was either the ammo from 1982, or 1983. Has anyone else here heard that rumor? Is there any truth to it?

Thanks,
Allen

I don’t think so.I have shot some of it and my records show it’s ‘9 ring’ stuff with no problem

Was checking my supplies and can now say this crap came in a brown wrapper also