7.62 x 25mm TT Cartridge Used In The PMP Mine, USSR Post WW2

PMP Mine (Мины ПМП)

Complete blog article, see: https://ivagkin.livejournal.com/119496.html
Quote:
" The PMP mine hits the target with a bullet of 7.62 mm caliber in the foot or arm - two parts of the body that are most likely to put the mine in action when it is stepped on or dropped by the palm, respectively. "

" Characteristics of the PMP mine: Mass - 145 g Height - 120 mm Diameter on the union nut - 36 mm Trigger force - 7-30 kg Consists of a body, a barrel, a trigger and a pistol cartridge 7.62x25 mm TT. Mine construction is extremely simple. "

Photos posted by Ivagkin-

PMP mine diagram showing the 7.62 x 25mm TT cartridge in place.

a

EOD recovered PMP mine, partially disassembled. Note 7.62x25mm cartridge on the right.

Brian

1 Like

Quite like the British Ground Spike but using available instead of custom manufacture ammunition. Smart

And regarding the fact it is an AP mine it is quite humane!

Very interesting! I think this device has been discussed before. Can anyone of you young tech-savvy guys make out any markings on the TT round, or the headstamp?

Jon, the mine is dated in the 1950s. So one can assume the rounds have according headstamps.

I was curious to know if it might have some special headstamp marking related to the mine use.

The manual says “pistol cartridge cal. 7.62mm”.
Knowing the Russians one would assume the cartridge was just the standard item we all know.
Just the case head is laquered with clear laquer (likely an additional sealing).

Bortsov mentions a side marking (on case wall) of Krasnozavodsk (factory - the triangle symbol) of green ink. This is likely the factory which applied the additional laquer.
The hs he is associating with this load is “38 64”.
But do not hold your breath to find one. This doc is the only source describing such a marking (and as we see on the photos above the “normal” was unmarked). Besides this in about 40 years of intense ammo research I never saw such a mine myself (having crawled quite some mine fields on my knees) and also do not know of collections holding one.
See the page in question below.

1 Like

So, basically a ground placed zip gun?

I am a little confused- maybe- about the functionality of the “mine”,
if is it burried, what is the mechanism that actually makes it fire, and what is the part about striking the arm if it is “…droppedby the palm”?
If you picked it up it would not fire, and you had to drop it to make it fire?

Sorry, I could not get through the Russian, and am entirely not familiar with specific this design of booby trap.
Thanks.

Yes, Alex, that was exactly what I was hoping would appear in the picture of the cartridge. I have only seen those markings on drawings.
So if rounds were specially sealed (and possibly marked) for the mines…there might also be special packaging???

EOD - when you say this is an “AP” mine, do you mean Armor-Piercing or Anti-Personnel? I didn’t quite understand that entry.

I have been looking at that picture of a hand holding the components of this device, and after playing with it a little, primarily turning it into black and white, I could not do much with it. However, while it might just be an aberration it appears to me that there is a “V” or a Triangle printed on the side of the case, about center to its length and in the picture oriented with the point of the V or triangle just slightly left of pointing straight down. It certainly is not a “full color” marking, but just an outline. I can’t tell the color of the line, and again, it may just be scratches or the like on the case, although it appears somewhat regular for that. Or, perhaps I am just hallucinating!

John Moss

John,

Below is a section of the photo (rotated) you are talking about.

a

There are the numbers 608-2-?.

Quoting from the blog page I listed above in my opening post (Google translation):

" Release information at plant No. 608 (the mine is called the PMP anti-personnel mine round) is limited by years - only from 1954 to 1961. The mine was produced there in very small quantities. Known production dynamics are as follows:

• 1954 - 5040 pieces
  • 1955 - 500 pieces
  • 1956, 1957 and 1961, years - 0 pieces
  • 1958 - 1000 pieces,
  • 1959 - 5056 pieces
  • 1960 -. 5280 units
    Total known about 16876 pieces min PMP.
    The specified number of mines does not mean that so many of them were sent to the warehouses. "

So " 608 " is the number code for the factory that produced the PMP mine.

Brian

Jack,

Quote from the Google translation-

" Trigger force - 7-30 kg " i.e. this AP mine is pressure activated when stepped on. Or if a person is crawling on the ground pressing one’s hand (palm) or knee on the mine will probably activate the mine.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Great article, thanks for sharing. Factory No. 608 = Novovyatski Mekhanicheski Zavod, Kirov.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Jon, if so it would be only factory internal and to be shipped from one factory to another. Means no super special markings on boxes or anything like that.

John, in relation to land mines “AP” stands for Anti- Personnel.

If you mean the light area on the case I think it is just stains/oxidation from being for ages in the ground as the orientation would not make real sense there.
But who knows? After all it would be good to see all the cartridges in detail that were recovered there.

BadgerJack, Like the Ground Spike, it was buried so the bullet was facing up, when the then hidden plate at the top was pressed the firing pin was released to fire the cartridge which then propelled the bullet into the object pressing the top plate.

Pete, actually the barrel with the cartridge inside were fired down onto the rigid firing pin.

Ah yes now I see that Alex, thanks.

Here is a rarely documented VC anti-personnel trap using a shotshell:

1 Like

Alex - thank you. I thought it would be anti-personnel. I don’t know anything about land mines except to try hard not to step on one, and that if one steps on one and hears a loud click, you are probably screwed. We did have a special class once dealing with the uses, as mines and booby traps, of EDs with pressure-release “triggers.” (don’t even recall the correct name for the part when depressed, sets off the mine).

Scary damned things.

John M.