7.62 x 37 mm Musang

This 7.62 x 37 mm Musang (“Wildcat” in Tagalog language) is a new Philippine round inspired in the .300 Whisper. It is produced since 2011 by Government Arsenal and it looks very similar to the 7.62 x 37 mm HK, but with a shorter neck. Bullet used is a .30 M2 flat base and the cases seems to be unheadstamped. Note the two different boxes, one mistakenly marked “7.62x57”.

Thanks Fede,

Any info concerning bullet weights and muzzle velocities?

Tony,

As he said, it shoots an M2 ball round, so presumably 152gr. If .300 Blackout/Whisper is anything to go by, it should send that downrange at about 2,000 ft/s from a 16" barrel.

What is the parent cartridge case? Jack

[quote=“Tau”]Tony,

As he said, it shoots an M2 ball round, so presumably 152gr. If .300 Blackout/Whisper is anything to go by, it should send that downrange at about 2,000 ft/s from a 16" barrel.[/quote]
Ah, thanks and apologies to Fede - I should read more carefully.

Hi Tony, I’m the one who should read more carefully; the bullets proposed for this cartridge are the .30 M2 Ball, 7.62 mm M80 boat tail and Sierra Match King of 250 gr. The ballistic data is unknown to me.

Jack, the parent case is the 5.56 x 45 mm.

Fede: Thanks for the identification. My first guess would have been 7.62 m/m NATO or 7.62 m/m Russian M43, but the shoulder was so slight these seemed unlikely. Jack

Tony, a table of specifications for the M4 type rifle chambered for this round was made public this last July and states that the muzzle energy, muzzle velocity and effective range are “under research and development”. Barrel lenght is 14.5".

7.62x37 MUSANG from the Philippines

Thanks again, Fede!