7.62 x 38R Nagant Dummy?

I got a cartridge from TonyE which I think is a 7,62 Nagant factory dummy. It is headstamped “38 78”. There is a 2.5mm hole drilled in the side of the case 10mm from the case head. There is no primer cap. The bullet is a lead wadcutter which is seated 9.5mm below the case neck. Is this a known factory dummy cartridge?

Thanks for any info.

[quote=“Falcon”]I got a cartridge from TonyE which I think is a 7,62 Nagant factory dummy. It is headstamped “38 78”. There is a 2.5mm hole drilled in the side of the case 10mm from the case head. There is no primer cap. The bullet is a lead wadcutter which is seated 9.5mm below the case neck. Is this a known factory dummy cartridge?

Thanks for any info.[/quote]

This is deactivated V-1 soviet sport cartridge.

Falcon - that sounds like it might be an exhibition dummy from one of the big shows like IWA, but more likely one of the military shows, the names of which I forget, rather than a commercial show. JMHO. It is typical though. I have many 9 mm Para and 9 mm Makarov dummies with similar features, all from big trade shows, be they military or civilian oriented.

One thing to look for is the quality of the hole in the case. A lot of home-made dummies have pretty ragged holes in them. The ones in the Russian dummy rounds from trade shows are generally very nicely done, and while they can range a little in size, all are very small - I should say all that I have are very small.

I believe that this may be a factory dummy as it appears to have never had a primer cap. The inside of the case that is visible through the hole also appears to have never been loaded.

So is this a factory dummy of a match cartridge with the wadcutter bullet?

Falcon - very likely, and again, almost certainly an Exhibition dummy, rather than a functional dummy.