7.62 X 39 Autofrettage?

Here is a 7.62 x 39 that was originally reported to me as a production line screw-up, but in light of the 7.5 MAS Autofrettage cartridge, I am beginning to wonder. If this is a mistake, it is a double one. Besides the lack of an extraction groove, the bullet is 7.79mm.The headstamp is “7.62 x 39 WOLF”. Has anyone else seen a similar cartridge? Anyone know of any factory drawings or specifications on the different types of proof cartridges in 7.62 x 39?

Ron, I saw this round or one just like it on a shooter’s forum about a year ago. Was reported to have been found in a normal box of “wolf” FMJ ammunition. QC at Tula must have slipped a bit as cartridges with inverted primers and no flash holes have turned up as well. Others have suggested that the lack of an extractor groove can be attributed to a practical joker with “photoshop”. Have you seen this cartridge in person or from more than one angle?

AKMS

AKMS–I do not own the cartridge myself, but I just got off the phone with the person who does and he assures me it is an actual cartridge, not a Photoshop image.

I bought a cartridge just like that one several months ago, but it was 9mm brass. It had no groove at all, and it was from a commercial Magtech box of ammo. One would think that actual factory testing loads without the groove might have some red-ink coloration in the way that other proof loads would?

Here’s the SUPER SPEED 284 WIN cartridge that I mentioned on another thread. I’m still not positive what an Autofrettage is or what it does, but this 284 Win appears to be a standard HPT cartridge, except for the missing extractor groove.

Anyone have any ideas on it??

Ray

Ray–That .284 Winchester is also available in “SUPER-X”. I have both headstamps. I’m not sure of the exact date that these were made, but I got both of mine from Jim Tillinghast in 1985.

Hi Ron,

In the 80ies, such a round was known to have been produced on experimental basis (?) by Tula, and it was described by our Czech friend Vladislav Badalik with a copperd steel case, headstamped 539 81.
A line drawing was given in the Czech Cartidge Collector’s bulletin, that I reproduced in my book on Russian ammunition (2008).

The case was, as a matter of fact, 40 mm long and seemed to be made in two parts stuck together, the lower one being 6,0 mm long from the base. Bullet diameter was given as a normal 7,86 mm and external mouth diameter 8,45 mm.

There was no detail given about the goal or use of such an experiment. It was certainly not an autofrettage round, as such process, as already said, was no more in use in 1981.

For your modern “WOLF” specimen, with lacquered steel case, I think that, maybe, an unfinished case was left incidentally on the manufacturing line, then was loaded and escaped the quality controls before packaging, but the smaller bullet diameter, as you did report, is puzzling…

Of course, will you please just consider theese lines as only a guess.

Philippe

Philippe, this cartridge is as far as Russian sources say a fantasy cartridge made from an unfinished blank case.

Not a fantasy cartridge, just poor QC…

And another… This one was from Tula as I recall… found in a normal box of ammunition.

[quote=“AKMS”]Not a fantasy cartridge, just poor QC…
][/quote]

AKMS, I mean the cartridge described by Philippe.

As for the one(s) being in question I agree on the lousy QA.

Well, EOD, this is a possibility…But I would like to see the original specimen drawn by the Czechs…as Badalik was far from a practical joker…!
Anyway, poor QC for the last ones, maybe, but what about this bizarre bullet diameter?
And certainly not an autofrettage, which was the point in the first post…

Ph.

Right, I missed that. More poor CQ. Live cartridge, live primer, no flash holes. Primer blew out into the receiver of the AK. I have head of this happening more than a few times with recent Russian ammunition. Must be they are at max capacity trying to fill all the orders they have…

[quote=“stuka222”]Well, EOD, this is a possibility…But I would like to see the original specimen drawn by the Czechs…as Badalik was far from a practical joker…!
Anyway, poor QC for the last ones, maybe, but what about this bizarre bullet diameter?
And certainly not an autofrettage, which was the point in the first post…

Ph.[/quote]

Philippe, I owned that one and gave it back to the person which sold it to me after I tracked down the original source in Russia. Badalik could not know about if he did not do research in Russia.