7,62 x 39 Plastic Blanks by Geco, or DAG?

Decades ago I found those 7,62 x 39 brass head, no headstamp, nickel plated boxer primer blanks. About the origin I was told they were Geco experiments.

Taking a closer look I found they do look alike, while they are not! The picture shows from the left

• for illustration the head of a 7,62 x 51 black plastic blank, headstamp DAG * 12-58
• a 53,8 mm long, 7,29 gram
• a 55,6 mm long, 7,54g gram, and
• a 53,5 mm long, 6,69 gram.

The x-ray shows that both on the left share the same style head, just like the head on the very left, so we can assume they originate from about the same period as the pictured Nato head piece ***.

Is there any better information than hear-say-“by Geco” out, what more is known? Do they belong to the NWM 7,62x38 context?
Thank you, Hans

Edit: *** while the head piece of the right internally looks completely different. Unfortunately I have no other 7,62 x 51 blank specimen to compare

You mention no headstamps (except the one for comparison). Does that mean the blanks have no headstamp?

That’s what I tried to say. None has a headstamp.

Hans, I got mine (several) directly out of Geco, Durlach, from a friend working there.
At this time they worked very close with Bakelittfabrikken, and have also developed their own plastic-shortrange (with own patents).
I have somewhere a leaflet about their shortrange production than, where they claim, to have own patents (and not from Bakelitt).
The blanks where tested in several calibers -and colors/ I got from the same source red plastic .303, made by Geco…

Peter
all have no hs

1 Like

Geco also made some with headstamps.

Here a 12.7x99:
12.7x99_blank_experimental_by GECO_Germany-

Here a 40x365R (Bofors 40/L70):

Here one of their boards:

Source of all images: internet

1 Like

Hi Hans,

I have never seen the box or specific information about this caliber, but it looks like other confirmed black plastic blanks made by Dynamit Nobel in .50 Cal. (12.7x99), .30 Cal. (.30-06), .30 Carbine, 40x365R, 40x311R, 35x228, 20x139, 20x128, 7.9x57, 7.62x51, 5.56x45, and 9x19. Some were marketed under the Geco and RWS brands.

According to Phil Régenstreif book “Munitions Sovietiques” p. 153 and 159, this blank was made by RWS for an Egyptian order.

Dynamit Nobel also made 7.62x39 red plastic blanks and blue plastic short range cartridges.

Regards,

Fede

Thank you very much Peter, Alex and Fede!

As we all know Durlach and Nürnberg split product ranges and I’m still not certain if both were overlapping in making plastic blanks.
From the samples I have it is clear that in this calibre several differing designs were made, one of the designs being the head style as used for the said 7,62 Nato and a completely other.

@Forensic: I’m focussed on these 7,62 x 39 blanks. Do you have any clues about when Geco had worked on them? Which differing head piece designs were made?
If you could find the short-range leaflet, first time I hear about a SR in this calibre from that house!, and post it here, I’d very much be obliged!

@EOD: wonderful pictures, wished that Geco display would show the design/head shapes clearler and showed a date.

@Fede: “marked under the Geco and RWS brands”, were those independent activities or do they come from the same maker, just differing in brand? Can you confirm if they then came from Geco or RWS?
You don’t happen to have pictures of the DN 7,62 x 39 red plastic blanks and blue plastic short range cartridges (frankly, this sounds like Bakelitt to me) you can show? Here again the question about the when?
Philippe’s book: “this blank was made by RWS” contradicts with my own hear-say and Peter’s information they were made by Geco in Durlach.

Hm, now I’m curious for your replies :-)

Nothing to be added?

Hans, we may speculate that different DAG facilities cooperated to manufacture these cartridges, but you can’t deduct this from box labels (for example, you can find .30 Carbine and 9x19 plastic training cartridges labeled “Werk Genschow-Durlach”). Likewise, the Durlach and Stadeln plants are known to have developed their own blanks and plastic training cartridges based on the Norwegian Ringdal designs.

Below you can see images of 7.62x39 blank and short range cartridges offered by DAG (from display board). It believe it dates from the early 60’s, because the 5.56x45 is not included.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Fede, thanks!

Anybody with detailed images of the 7.62x39 variants?

The items on the board look very Bakelittfabrikken’ish, the Geco metal heads on my black plastic blanks are well notably higher. Frankly I have my doubts Geco made them