7,62 x 39mm Grenade cartridge

Can anybody tell me the Yugoslavian military designation of this grenade cartridge? It’s headstamp is ‘nny 1982’.
I have M67 Ball, M78 Tracer, M82 API, M76 Short Range and M68 Blank so I’m assuming the grenade cartridge also has an ‘M number’.

Jim, the manual says “Osnovno Punjenje 7,62mm”.

Thanks EOD. Does your manual suggest then that the other loads in this calibre do have an ‘M number’ but the grenade cartridge does not?

Jim,
this is no real reply to your question: the first known headstamp of this grenade blank is 1969. So it will have to be about M69 if there is an M… for it.
(Remember, M67 = lead core ball / M68 = blank and they would not have wanted to create conflicts.)

I printed out some catalog pages from the Prvi Partisan website some years ago. Not sure if it is even around anymore, I have not looked. According to the catalog they list the following 7.62x39mm types:

Ball, M-67
Silencer, M-78
Blank, M-68
Tracer, M-78
API, M-82
Practice, M-76
Practice, Indoor M-87
High Pressure (Type I) (red tip)
High Pressure (Type II) (black tip)
Grenade, M-66

Describes packaging for the M-66 to be in a 10 rd. box, 640 rds. to a cardboard case. I suspect the M-66 designation to be related to the SKS carbine copy known as the M-59/66, which has an attached grenade launcher, grenade sight and gas cut-off.

AKMS

Add these:

Ball (steel core), M59 (for semi auto rifle M59)
Drill, M65

Wish I had the subsonic one…

EOD, is the M-65 the one with holes in the case and projectile and filled with orange plastic? Or, are there other drill/dummy variations?

AKMS

AKMS, yes, there are the ones filled with red (also in pale red) plastic and also some filled with blue plastic (actually in other calibers too). I actually wonder if there is a way to tell the colors apart by manufacturers or a time line. It might be an idea to check on them by letting all post their drill cartridges here with hs and plastic color.

[quote=“AKMS”]… Grenade, M-66

Describes packaging for the M-66 to be in a 10 rd. box, 640 rds. to a cardboard case. I suspect the M-66 designation to be related to the SKS carbine copy known as the M-59/66, which has an attached grenade launcher, grenade sight and gas cut-off.[/quote]

True, I did not have the SKS (ПOЛУAУTOMATCКA ПУШКA M59, M59/66) in mind, that opens the door to below M69. Has anybody ever seen a pre 1969 specimen?

AKMS,
it certainly wasn’t called “grenade” there, how was it called on the Serbian site? They updated their internet presentation just over the past weekend and now the grenade blank is gone.

By the way, IK calls them on their export site “Ignition Charge for Rifle Grenade”, and packs

* 15 rounds in cardboard box
* 10 cardboard boxes in PVC foil

Those I have seen in Yugoslav Service came sealed in a small plastic bag and were stuck in the Grenade shaft and the 7.9 cartridge was held by the plug in the shaft.

Hans,

It was called “Grenade” on the webpage I referenced…

Verbatim from the webpage:

#070 7.62x39mm, Grenade, M66

“This cartridge is intended for rifle grenade launching with 7.62x39mm weapons (Yugoslav semi-auto M56/66, automatic rifle M70, light machingun M72 and other compatable systems). Cartridge is identified by a rosette crimp of the cartridge case mouth.”

AKMS

AKMS,
thank you. I have no doubt you quote right from the English site. My badly spoken out question was about: do you happen to know how the Serb site called it (in Serb). From your above I understand now you don’t, schade!
In my collection I have a fair number of those ППУ grenade blanks (like Jim’s) with following year-headstamps, not quite complete though…:

:)