7.62 X 51 NATO headstamp

i have a few battlepacks of 7.62 x 51 NATO ammo with the headstamp “BF 79 62”. Does anyone know where this ammo was produced? I’ve seen “BF” listed as both Portuguese and Norwegian. What do the numbers 79 and 62 stand for? I assume the year of production but why two - 2 digit numbers? Is it corrosive ammo? Thanks.

The “BF” factory designator was used on ammunition made in Portugal that showed up in Southern Africa. It is known on 9mm Parabellum as well. The numbers are the lot number and year, I believe. I am not sure anyone is positive what “BF” stands for. This was covered on a previous thread some time ago. According to a Portuguese Member, as I recall, not even people associated with the FNM factory in Portugal knew what it stood for.

I found the thread of that discussion. It was not, as I had remembered, the one that elicited a response from one of our members in Portugual, but is interesting all the same. It was “Portuguese 7.62 x 51” from Sunday Spet 30, 2007 1:30 PM. You might want to look at it.