7.62 x 51mm (7.62 NATO) country list

Following on from Ron’s list for 7.62 x 39mm, here’s my equivalent list for 7.62 NATO. Have I missed any?

Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium+
Bosnia
Brazil
Bulgaria
Burma*
Cameroun
Canada+
Chile
Columbia
Czechoslovakia
Czech Republic+
Denmark+
Dominican Republic
Finland
France+
Greece+
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Iran
Israel
Italy+
Japan
Kenya
Lithuania+
Malaysia
Mexico
Morocco
Nepal*
Netherlands
New Zealand
Nigeria
Norway+
Pakistan
Paraguay**
Peru
Philippines
Poland*
Portugal+
People

Dave

Please excuse my ignorant question, but why would non-NATO countries produce NATO cartridges?

Ray

PS - After thinking about this I think I’ve answered my own question. I speak a different language than you. I only call those cartridges with the NATO (+) as 7.62x51 NATO. The others I call 7.62x51.

Which leads to a question I have been wanting to ask you.

There are 28 NATO Members. How many of those produce ammunition with the NATO (+) headstamp?

Ray

I’m interested in compiling the list for 7.62 x 51mm in general. The (+) in the headstamp simply signifies that the manufacturer has met the necessary NATO standards. Many manufacturers make 7.62 x 51mm ammunition that includes NATO and/or the US cartridge designation in their labeling but they have not submitted to the NATO tests. If they are not a member of NATO and can find a market for their product, why submit to the process?

I’ve edited the list to highlight NATO members that have used 7.62 x 51mm cartridges with the (+) symbol (14 countries). Again if forum members are aware of errors, please let me know. Also note that countries have used the (+) for cartridges that have not been evaluated by NATO eg Australia, New Zealand (and China!).

Dave S

Don’t forget that the commerical equivalent of the 7.62 X 51mm cartridge is the .308 Winchester, which is also produced on a large scale worldwide.

Dave, China is missing on the list I think.

The polish hs is:
12h: 7.62x51
4h: 99
8h: 21

[quote=“EOD”]Dave, China is missing on the list I think.

The polish hs is:
12h: 7.62x51
4h: 99
8h: 21[/quote]

PRC… Peoples Republic of China… to be politicaly coreect that is… Hee hee

Beware me of becoming political correct…

Ray - remember, sometimes a non-NATO country makes ammunition for a NATO country, to NATO Specification, and in that case, they bear the NATO mark correctly. Otherwise, for example, there would be no IMI Israel rounds with the NATO Mark. I can’t speak for 7.62 x 51, but in 9 x 19m/m Para, there are many Israeli rounds that were NATO-country contracts and bear the NATO Symbol. I am sure there are other examples as well.

Egypt, Slovenia(AREX) is missing in the list.
MDRP Ministero de Defencia Republica del Paraguay, made in France and Isra

Austria + (SMI 88 +, HP 91 +, …)

As far as MDRP is concerned, it is almost universally (!) admitted to-day that it was a spurious hstp to turn down the South African embargo.
Most of the specimens found were discovered by customs in the fret section of a well-known Londonian airport0, when some badly packed crates broke open. They came from France and were labelled “agricultural devices”…
They were supposed to be sent to Portugal…, then RSA, but, of course, not to be used there, or everywhere else and certainly not in Paraguay…

This very badly-packageed affair, obviously the fact of “amateurs”, is well-known here and costed their position to several SFM executives, including one of Export Sales director, a Mr. N…(name retained for obvious reasons) who did act as the main scapegoat…

If some of these ammo did find their way through Israeli channels is also quite possible, but not definitely proven.

Some quantities seized were also released to the MANURHIN factory in Mulhouse-Bourtzviller, to be used in cartridge machinery testing in the early 80ies.

A real saga, as you may see…

Philippe.

By the way, most of this MDRP ammo is found without any cardboard box.

I would like to see one of them, if any one finds it.

Philippe

There are two different examples of MDRP 7.62x51, French and Israeli made. I hope Dave will post pics of the two different versions, as he is a much better photographer than I.

As requested

Israeli manufactured cartridges with MDRP headstamp

Isaeli box and cartridge for comparison

French manufactured MDRP cartridge

Dave S