7.62 x 51mm plastic cartridge

I posted this cartridge here on here some years ago however it was not conclusively identified. It was suggested that it might be a blank of Canadian origin but that was about as far as we got.
However I have now found an image of this same cartridge on Municion.org where it is described as a ‘plastic instructional cartridge exclusively for use by the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst’. For those that are not aware RMA Sandhurst is where the UK’s army officers are trained. I certainly never came across these cartridges during my time in the British army - however I never served at Sandhurst.
The cartridge is entirely of plastic, including the separate black head, and is unprimed. The primer pocket is very small and may just about accept a pistol-sized primer however I am not certain now whether this is a blank or a dummy cartridge. Does anybody have any thoughts?

This should be a Finnish experimental blank. The same exists in 12.7x99.

Excellent! Thank you.

Alex, do you mean a Norwegian Plamil blank? I thought these all had metal bases, not plastic.

Fede, no, I mean Finland which also made plastic heads for 7.62x39 blanks for example.
The shown one and the 12.7x99 would fit that system + the 12.7 I mean came from Finland and was presented as a Finnish product by the guy who had it.

Alex, very interesting, I had no idea. Do you know the name of the company involved? Are these new?

The idea of a dummy cartridge with a separate plastic head doesn’t seem logic at all.

Fede, I do not think that this is a dummy at all. There is a faint ‘X’ impressed in the nose to allow gases to escape so I would suggest that this is a blank.

[quote=“Fede”]Alex, very interesting, I had no idea. Do you know the name of the company involved? Are these new?

The idea of a dummy cartridge with a separate plastic head doesn’t seem logic at all.[/quote]

Fede, I have no idea who made them but should be along the “plastic line” Finland made in several calibers.

As Jim says, these are blanks.

Speaking of witch, here it has been posted today:
bocn.co.uk/vbforum/attachmen … 1363093245

If this is not a dummy what does it use for a primer it looks like a plastic fill? Vic

Blank, it is a blank.

EOD I am not questioning your answer, but I have the understanding that if it is a blank it goes boom! what causes the ignition? there is no primer! Vic

Vic, there is no primer. There’s just an empty primer socket. I would guess that my specimen was never loaded or primed.

Vic, ah, got your point now. The 12.7 I had seen was loaded.

I have found information describing these 7.62x51 and .50 all plastic blanks as experimentals made by the French firm NCS of Survilliers. Does anyone have more detailed information about these?

Fede,

May I ask what information.

Joe
xjda68@hotmail.com

Joe, I don’t have any documentation, just a list from a French collector that describes these cartridges as products of NCS, including many different variations with metal and plastic heads.

[quote=“Fede”]Alex, very interesting, I had no idea. Do you know the name of the company involved? Are these new?

The idea of a dummy cartridge with a separate plastic head doesn’t seem logic at all.[/quote]

Fede, by those two comments I am convinced it must be French in origin.

End of story for this one, I am leaving it marked as French firm NCS of Survilliers.

Joe

This is absolute not a Blank of the French firm NCS, they made blanks with plastic and composiet heads but all have the typical contours of a French blank. I have one with a blackplastic, a white plastic and one with a brown composiet head.
The plastic blank you shown is a produkt of “ALLIVANE INTERNATIONAL”. Spent lots of hours to find this information back in "IDR 4/86 p501.
Jan

JAN,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are you referring to as " IDR 4/86 p501".

Joe