7.62 x 51mm plastic cartridge

Jan, do you have documentation indicating that this blank was actually manufactured by Allivane International? I’m asking because NCS was one of the French companies who supplied their products to other countries via this British company.

Jane’s International Defence Review?

When I search for the letter code headstamp I came across my notation of this cartridge, I didn’t make a copy of it, I must have this magazine nr 4 of 1986 of International Defence Review, but not able to find it at this moment. May be someone else has it.
In the '90 I visit regular French ammunition meetings and find a lot of experementale blanks of NCS but never this one, it differs so mutch of what they produce. I got mine as far as I remember from a Scandinavian member on an internationale meeting with no info.

Jan, thanks, I’ll try to find a copy in the meantime.

As Jan said, these rounds are absolutely not NCS production.

I am lucky to have been in close touch with the NCS, for consulting and counselling during the late 80ies.
I am also happy for having beeen able to take Bill Woodin, and George Kass to visit their works…

The Nouvelle Cartoucherie de Survilliers was first a factory depending from Cartoucherie Française, Paris. This company, founded at the beginning of the XXth Century, was later absorbed by SFM-Gévelot and most exclusively made plastic blanks following the Ringdal Patent (acquired from Gévelot in the late 50ies), in 7,5 Mle 1929C, then 7,62x51 OTAN (NATO) calibres, all of them in white translucent hi-density polyethylene and light alloy base (delivered from the parent Company Gevelot, in Issy-Les Moulineaux).

In the meantime, NCS still made small caliber rimfire cartridges, primers of the patented Gévelot type, and propulsive rounds for mortar, first French ones, then Soviet calibres to export in Egypt and Iraq (under Saddam Hussein rule).
They were also tooled to manufacture artillery rounds to Iraq, but the dedicated part of their works was destroyed in a conflagration (of …unknown origin…!), before any could be made and delivered…

They tried to manufacture the so-called ‘TARP’ short range training ammo firing a diabolo lead pellet from a plastic primed cylindrical case of british patented design, their plastic was first cream white, a very small quantity of red ones due to a manipulation error, and black ones, instead of the brown british specimens. Unhappily, they obtained no order for this system.

They also tried to make 7,62x39 plastic blanks, but the conflagration we spoke about destroyed the first machinzes tooled for, and only a very small amount of this rounds survives, all quite scarce in white translucent plastic (2 diverse surface finish) and light alloy base.

They NEVER made any .50" Browning blanks.

From the late 80ies, you will sometimes find a collection of bright-coloured 7,62x51 NATO fully-active plastic blanks, unhappily often said as being “experimental” cartridges… which THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT !!! and I know it quite well, as I was the “parent of this wonderful marvels! Here is the story, all-fresh for IAA members…Our idea was to make some kind of April’s Fool joke, in order to fight against all the wonderful"experimentals” of any kind which were produced by several well-known “professional” fakers, having access (or pretending so) in dicers R&D factories, in Europe, who sold them for fantastic prices…

So, with a good friend-a collector himself-working at NCS as Marketing Director, and thanks to his stepbrother who was in a well-known plastic making society, we obtained a quantity of varied plastic granulated pigments and during a week-end, we made a full array of red, green, yellow, black, blue, brown, grey etc… “experimentals”, circa 100 of each, plus interesting variations with metallic powder included (alu powder)…

On the machine, the tank for mixing base plastic and pigments had to be thoroughly rinced before going to another shade of coilour, to avoid unwanted mixtures, but it WAS NOT entirely, as we were short of time(!), so we obtained, unwillingly, also a nice collection of mixed coloured case-cartridges…(I called them Picassos!)!

So, this is the end (or beginning) of the story… Anyway, I am afraid to day that the results of our joke are not entirely what we hoped… as many people were victimised…

As for the Soviet caliber mortar rounds, I will also let you know later, if you are interested, about what happened… as I was first-line and responsible to get specimens of Russian origin, these blanks being X-rayed and carefully dissected in the R&D dept of NCS before launching the production…

Hope to have been …interesting!!!

Phil

Phil, very interesting story! Thanks for sharing.

Ok Phil, so in short, you are saying you made the cartridge pictured at the beginning of the post as a joke? If so, how about these? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15201

Here is information about the all-plastic blank cartridges offered by Allivane International: