7.62 x 54R REMINGTON?

J. Gill, you are probably correct. I didn’t pay that much attention to the lettering and mistook it for the same mark that’s on the Winchester M1895 Russian contract rifles from the same era. That is a different mark altogether though with the only similarity being the “3”. My mistake.

Now I’m wondering what the “Б” stands for. It is not the Cyrillic “B” which sounds like “V” and is the first letter in vintovka (rifle). Nor is it a Cyrillic P for patron (cartridge).

7.62x54r: I also wondered what the B (the Latin B; I can’t produce the cyrillic letter) might signify. Perhaps Treshkin can help us out here. JG

I am the last person to speak on this matter, but I have a crazy theory.
“3 л.Б.” may be intended to be “Трёхлинейная винтовка” which is “three line rifle” and maybe the people in Illinois got confused between Russian “B” and “V” which are respectively “Б” and “В”. Maybe they wanted to write “3 л.В.”= Three-line rifle.
P.S. For those not caring much for old stuff, “Line” is an archaic Russian measurement unit, kinda like “millimetre”.

Specifically, a line is 1/10 of an inch. 3 lines is .30 caliber.

Cool boxes! Thanks guys!

Then again, some lots of Remington 16 ball cartridges were sold to the republican side during the spanish civil war.

sksvlad,
you should know better, the “Anglo-Saxon inch” is as archaic as "Russian “Line”, while “Millimetre” is up to date.

:)