7.62mm NATO U.S. Corrosive Primed

From what I’ve gathered from previous Forum posts, the only corrosive primed U.S. made 7.62mm NATO was (2) lots of 1956 International Match by FA. I couldn’t find any box or cartridge pictures so was wondering if these were rather rare to come across and if the cartridges would be identifiable outside the box. Did they use the FA#26 primer as they did with the Cal.30 at that time?

What about pre-NATO LR priming? Was that all non-corrosive or a mix of both throughout developments?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave

They are not really 7.62MM NATO. They are 7.62MM, Ball, T275, International Match. They use the FA 26 primer. Yes, they are not common, but can be found if you know what you’re looking for. Only one pre-production lot and two production lots were made for the 1956 Australian Olympics. The primers, as I said, are FA #26, rounded brass, and will have a dark Blue or Green waterproofing. Headstamp is FA (+) 56. I have several different cartons and will have to look for a photo. Later T275 cartridges used non-corrosive primers. In 1960 the T275E4 became the XM118 Match.

Cal .30 at the time (except for International Match) was non-corrosive. Cal .30 LR (Light Rifle pre-NATO) was all non-corrosive primed.

ray

This was probably unnoticed by most all of you, but - in the world of Model designations of US small arms cartridges, prior to 1958, “M” numbers were assigned from “T” (test or experimental) series numbers without any attempt at continuity. The two numbers were quite different and it was impossible to connect them without a score card. So, for example, the Cal .30 T291 Match would become the Cal .30 M72 Match.

In 1958, a new designation procedure was adopted wherein test or experimental cartridges were assigned an “XM” number and when (if) they were officially adopted, the “X” was dropped and the new cartridge was standardized with the same basic “M” number. As an example, the 7.62MM XM852 Match became the 7.62MM M852 Match.

But, here’s what you didn’t notice. The subject of this thread, the 7.62MM International Match cartridge, was one of the very few that went from a “T”, to an “XM”, and then to an “M” designation.

This is probably of little interest to most of you, but to me, with an interest in match ammunition and an eye for the unusual, it is one of those little things that makes collecting so interesting.

Ray

Ray,

Beautiful box! Thank you for showing that and for all the additional information.

Dave