7.62mm Pre NATO

I have a 7.62mm Pre NATO (7,62x47), aluminum case with a standard projectile M2 (without the second cannalure).
The cartridge has a shorter length than the T65 “standard”.
Is it a fake (easy to make) or this cartridge has really existed ?

Michel

Hi Michel,

It is probably not a fake as aluminum pre-Nato cases are not uncommon. However, if, as you say the projectile does not have the 2nd cannelure and it is on the 47mm case, then it is a variation I don’t have. Can you post a picture?

These are unheadstamped.

Paul

The M2 bullet only had one cannelure. The 47mm T65 cartridges with the bullet seated out are nothing more than an M2 bullet seated long to acheive the design 2.785" OAL. Your photo, second from the left, is one such cartridge.

Many of the early cartridges with a cannelure exposed are actually loaded with the 165 grain M2 AP bullet but they are easy to ID because the cannelure is different and the crimping cannelure is smooth.

Or am I wrong??

Ray

[quote=“Paul Smith”]Hi Michel,

It is probably not a fake as aluminum pre-Nato cases are not uncommon. However, if, as you say the projectile does not have the 2nd cannelure and it is on the 47mm case, then it is a variation I don’t have. Can you post a picture?[/quote]

Thanks Paul
Picture tomorrow, it’s late in France !

Michel

Hi Ray,

Well, that makes sense. I forgot to include in my original picture the round with the double cannelure and the sectioned version.

[quote=“Paul Smith”]Hi Michel,

It is probably not a fake as aluminum pre-Nato cases are not uncommon. However, if, as you say the projectile does not have the 2nd cannelure and it is on the 47mm case, then it is a variation I don’t have. Can you post a picture?
[/quote]
The picture of all my 7.62x47 with headstamp :

It is the left one

Michel

B.T.T.