7.62x25mm help - JonC

I need some advice on WWII Soviet made 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammunition. Recently I was over at a friend’s house for a visit and we ended up in his workshop/reloading room. This guy is an older gentleman who has been shooting and reloading for decades longer than I have been alive and has acquired an incredible variety of interesting stuff. We were talking about Tokarev pistols and he was showing me his handloads using cut down 5.56x45mm cases when I noticed some factory loaded ammunition in the next box over. The ammo was packed on clips, like what I have seen Czech. Tokarev ammo on, but when I looked at the headstamps, it is all WWII vintage Soviet. I can’t say what the boxes were, but they were of the right size to hold about ten loaded clips very nicely. Maybe a re-pack from long ago? The brass cased ball ammo seemed to be garden variety WWII Soviet stuff with “38”, “T”, and other codes, some with the lot/year in the headstamp, some were unheadstmped. This ammunition does not appear to be the Yugo re-work stuff with the red sealants, so I beleive it to be 100% original. The point of this long story is this: Should I try to “rescue” this collectable ammunition? Is any of the WWII Soviet ball ammo worth anything? What about the unheadstamped ones? Is there a market for this ammunition for, say, Tokarev pistol collectors who might want a set of 10 or so different headstamped rounds to go with the pistol? I know there might be a good headstamp in this lot of a hundred or so rounds, not that I really collect this caliber, but for those who do I would look. What do you think?

AKMS

Hmmm…
Stuff like that is always interesting, you never know what headstamp might be buried in there. For me, the interesting thing is the box(es). Do the boxes seem like they were originally loaded with 10 strippers of ammo? Never heard of Soviet Tok ammo loaded on strippers, just Czech. Any markings on the boxes? WWII Russian Tok ammo isn’t much for shooting, but if you can get the batch cheaply it’s worth a look. Love to hear about the boxes, I collect those also.
Thanks.

[quote=“AKMS”]I need some advice on WWII Soviet made 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammunition. Recently I was over at a friend’s house for a visit and we ended up in his workshop/reloading room. This guy is an older gentleman who has been shooting and reloading for decades longer than I have been alive and has acquired an incredible variety of interesting stuff. We were talking about Tokarev pistols and he was showing me his handloads using cut down 5.56x45mm cases when I noticed some factory loaded ammunition in the next box over. The ammo was packed on clips, like what I have seen Czech. Tokarev ammo on, but when I looked at the headstamps, it is all WWII vintage Soviet. I can’t say what the boxes were, but they were of the right size to hold about ten loaded clips very nicely. Maybe a re-pack from long ago? The brass cased ball ammo seemed to be garden variety WWII Soviet stuff with “38”, “T”, and other codes, some with the lot/year in the headstamp, some were unheadstmped. This ammunition does not appear to be the Yugo re-work stuff with the red sealants, so I beleive it to be 100% original. The point of this long story is this: Should I try to “rescue” this collectable ammunition? Is any of the WWII Soviet ball ammo worth anything? What about the unheadstamped ones? Is there a market for this ammunition for, say, Tokarev pistol collectors who might want a set of 10 or so different headstamped rounds to go with the pistol? I know there might be a good headstamp in this lot of a hundred or so rounds, not that I really collect this caliber, but for those who do I would look. What do you think?

AKMS[/quote]

Hello AKMS,

I would be interested in any information you could glean from the clips, markings, finish etc.

gravelbelly