7.62x33 LC43 blank

What is the purpose or meaning of cannelure just below the rose crimp? I don’t see .30 Carbine blanks a lot.

Vlad

That’s a Cal 30 Carbine cartridge, either a blank or a grenade cartridge. Lacking any tip color, it’s an M6 Grenade Cartridge. The purpose of the roll cannelure is to keep the closing wad in place.

BTW, the T79 Blank looks exactly the same except it has a red tip color.

There are some recent threads about both cartridges.

Ray

How thick is this wad? I’d love to see a sectioned one. How about this “bxn 85” 7.62x54R, it has no cannelure under the rose?

Vlad

The wad is a typical flat cardboard wad. Not too thin and not too thick. It’s just right!

One of the threads from about 3 or 4 months ago had some official drawings that Phil B. posted. At least I think it was Phil.

As to that 7.62x54R, I can’t be responsible for what those Czechs do. I am one, BTW. Well half Czech and half Bohunk.

Ray

Do you like Czech beer? It’s good. Maybe we’ll meet at “U Kalicha” someday ukalicha.cz/
The crimp on the right is Czech.

The thread Ray referred to starts here:
iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.ph … sc&start=0

[quote=“sksvlad”]How thick is this wad? I’d love to see a sectioned one. How about this “bxn 85” 7.62x54R, it has no cannelure under the rose?
[/quote]

I believe that it depends on the cardboard wad. If it’s only a thin disk it needs to be hold in some way. If it’s a thick wad it may stay in place for itself. In Spain cardboard wads with corrugated edges were used, much like cupcake containers. The corrugations acted as “springs” and the wad stayed in place easily.

That Czech 7.62x54r does not have a cardboard disc in it. I’ve sectioned brass, LS and copper-clad steel czech 54r blanks and all are sans-disc. Of all the 7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm and 7.62x545r blanks I’ve sectioned, only a 1950’s brass cased Chinese 54r had a cardboard closure disc, and it was actually a cup, held in place by lacquer, not a ring crimp.

AKMS