7.62x38R Nagant box

I am utterly unfamiliar with target shooting. This box says “target ammo”. Why would someone use this old revolver for target shooting in 1972? Who was using these in 70’s? USSR military, police? Most civilians were not allowed to have these.

A variant of the Nagant pistol was/is used for target shooting. I will have to assume that Soviet armorers figured out some way to fix the horrid Nagant trigger pull.

Maybe they fired it single action.

Jon, the pistol used the 26mm cases if I recall right.
There was also a “new” target revolver using the regular 39 mm cases but all this civilian stuff is not really my field.
impactguns.com/store/HG1165-V.html

Vlad, the box says: “sporting revolver cartridge”

Vlad, There was indeed a target version of the Nagant revolver, and it may have been single-action only, I have forgotten. At a Phoenix, Arizona Match, the year of which I have unfortunately forgotten but it may have been quite contemporary to your box, the Soviet Shooters present were using ammunition in yellow boxes like this, in a Nagant target model. If this is the same ammunition, the bullet in the case should be a lead wadcutter, not the normal service bullet, and I believe the cases were shorter than the normal Nagant revolver also. Some of the ammo got out into other people’s hands after that shoot, and I believe some fair amounts of it were also exported to the US later on.

I was not at the shoot, but a friend of mine that came in our store was there, and brought me back a few of the cartridges, no realizing I didn’t collect revolver rounds. They were the first I had ever seen with the wadcutter bullet.

Since then, I have seen it by the box in gun shops, although I don’t recall us ever having had any of it.

I just remembered that I donated some money to the 40th World Championships, held at the Ben Avery Range Facility at Phoenix, Arizona, and checked the “donor plaque” they sent me. The Championships there were in 1970, so the ammunition and box posted on this thread could not be from the ammunition that changed hands there. It must be from a later match, or an importation from Russia of this ammunition.

I have a couple of those boxes in my shooting ammo stash. Even in single-action I can barely hit the paper at 25 feet.

Jon - you can’t base the accuracy of the cartridge on firing it out of a surplus military-issue Nagant revolver, even for reasons beyond bore condition and oriignal barrel quality. The match wadcutter round may well have been designed along with barrels of different rate of twist and perhaps a different forcing cone for the very different bullet used in this ammunition; different, that is, from the FMJ service bullet.

Further, while target versions of the Nagant revolver exist, these rounds probably were primarily used in the Vostock Series of match revolvers, the TOZ Models 36 and 49. These revolvers may have some Nagant features, but are not, by any means, a true Nagant Service revolver simply modified. They are a modern revolver probably the equal of any made in any country in the world.

While we are covering these match cartridges, I found in file some ballistics information for the round and it might as well be added to this thread:

7.62 mm “Sport”

6.5 Grams (100 Grains) Lead Wadcutter bullet
Velocity at 12-1/2 Meters: 180-195 MPS (590-640 FPS)
Group Spread, maximum, at 25 meters: 4 mm (1.6 Inches)

The only odd thing about this ammunition for modern match cartridges is its corrosive primer.

John, I really was only commenting on the pistol’s trigger, and my INability to use it effectively.

Jon - Sorry about that - the reference to that ammunition specifically didn’t sound that way. The Vostok TOZ Series of revolvers probably have match-grade trigger pulls. They have large target grips and sights, and a heavy barrel. The Russians used the first model of the TOZ-36 at the 39th World Shooting Championships at Wiesbaden, Germany, in 1966. The Soviets won second place with a score of 2340 out of 2400 points. The gun was designed by the Russian Champion Pistol Shooter E. Khaidurov, an engineer-designer.