7.62x39 case made of .276 Pedersen

I have seen a listing of a 7.62x39 case (NUPE as far as it applies) which was made from a .276 Pedersen with hs “FA 29”.

Were these anything official in the early days of this cartridge in US military minds (related testing etc.) or is it just the product of bordom and obviously too many .276 Pedersen cartridges on hand?

Any info is welcome.

My money would be supply and demand on the shooter market circa 1968-1970s.

There was a glut of .276 Pedersen ammo with no guns to shoot it. There was an increasing number of SKS (and a few AK-47) rifles arriving in the U.S. as souvenirs from Vietnam, but no ammo for them. Why waste good, marketable .30-06 cases to make up 7.62 x 39 cases when people had essentially worthless .276 ammo taking up space?

I would be astounded if any of this was done by the U.S. military.

At one time, the .276 Pedersen cases were used by wildcatters for several different cartridges. There was enough brass and loaded ammunition available to make it feasible to design a new cartridge around it. Though its popularity had died out by the 1950s, there’s no reason it could not have been used to make 7.62 x 39, or any other case with its head and rim dimensions (which is not the same as the 30-06 BTW).

You can still find full cases of .276 but I doubt if you’d want to buy it just for the brass.

Ray

JohnS - the .30-06 case would not be especially suitable for making the 7.62 x 39, nor would the 7.62 x 51 case. Especially since both of the cases really correct for making it, 6.5 x 54 Mannlicher Schoenauer and 6.5 Carcano were made by Norma at the time something to make the Kalashnikov cases were needed. They worked fine since the base and head diameters are within specs for the 7.62 x 39 mm as well.

John, so did the Finns with some of their Italian 6.5 (and 7.35 if I recall it right) and made blanks for their Military. And not to forget he US who ordered Czech 7.62x45 to be necked down for blanks too.
Both mentioned above are not to be confused with civilan movie blanks made of the same cases.

All: thank you for your comments so far, if anybody knows more please chime in.

The .276 Pedersen case would be as good a source (dimensionally speaking) of 7.62 x 39 brass as either the M-S or Carcano and likely more easily found in the U.S. in the years this conversion was done. At one time I had some 7.62 x 39 which had been formed faute de mieux from the steel case version of the Czech short round. Jack

EOD very doubtful IMHO, the US military would bother to use 15 year old brass to make rounds to form a new case type for testing a new case type.

I have some chronograph records that Phil Sharpe did in the late 1940’s early 1950’s & he would cobble all sorts of things together with total disregard for case capacities & things like that (it fit the gun & the bore so shoot it) to get velocities so he could offer reloading data. But I doubt any countries arsenal would follow this path to ‘discover’ the value of a new case type.

In early 1942, still existing .276 Pedersen rounds were offered to NRA members to buy. According to the May 1942 issue of the American Rifleman, 200.000 rounds were in stock and available. Several sources were named that provided chambering reamers.
According to the September 1942 issue, still 50.000 were left “all with large size primer”. That means 150.000 had already been bought by civilian shooters.
So there must have been many, many cases in private hands that in later years could be used to be formed into a 7.62x39.

I wish some of that old .276" Pedersen ammo would fall my way to use as “clip fillers”. I have had an empty 10 round clip in my collection for 20 years or so. The only ammo I have seen in the UK was already in clips and too expensive for this job.

gravelbelly

Dave

Full boxes show up on the auction sites frequently, often at low prices. I know of a full case that’s been for sale for a couple of years. Getting it to you would present problems.

ray

Thanks Ray,