7.62x39 Collecting

I have been accumulating 7.62x39 for years as a Kalashnikov collector (in general, specifically bayonets)

A few years back I pursued my 7.62x39 with more earnest, buying some rounds now and then specifically to add to the collection

But, now that I’ve visited Bills collection, I have decided to concentrate on 7.62x39 going forward (over other calibers)

I hope there are some other 7.62x39 collectors out there, I know I have a lot to learn

A few questions to start this thread off:

• Are there any books or articles on 7.62x39 that I should seek out?

• Are there any good sources for single rounds or collectables in this caliber?

• Does anyone have any 7.62x39 to trade?

Thanks !

I’d like to find a small amount of the “links” shown here in this photo. Only need about 5 each. Don’t know what the exact name is but they have small loops of wire joining them. MG 42??? Tom from MN

Gwebs, nice M43 collection.
If you ever come to a German ECRA show you will find many more.

tomdokulil, the shown belt is normally a 50rd segment for the MG42 or MG3.
There is no difference between both except for a small detail at the connector which makes no technical difference.
Of course the markings will be different then.
The MG3 version should be easy to find.

Welcome to the forum. On places to purchase individual rds of 7.62x39 I would refer to the post about places to purchase collectible cartridges, some of which may have some:

Most sellers online seem to focus more on vintage American cartridges / boxes, but most all of them have odd lots of random foreign calibers as well. You’ll find the best selection at cartridge shows.

Box I just bought yesterday, Love the quality of the lead tip.

Pete, this one here is the commercial production of factory #7 in Amursk.

Thanks Alex, is this type of box construction typical or should I say in common use in Russia these days & being used by other factories?

Guess I should add the bullet jacket is the typical CMCS

Pete let’s say it was not uncommon since the 1990s but most manufacturers including Amursk stuck (or switched back and forth) to the normal 20rd cubic boxes as we know them from the military. Now just with fancy printing (and somnetimes not).
The reason is most likely for standardization reasons and packing into the well known tins.
After all the final customer decides how things get packed, in particular when the boxes shall feature the customers brand etc.
But to answer your initial question, yes, Barnaul also used the flat box design in their “Centaur” (“noble”) line loaded with projectiles from Hornady.

Thanks Alex

in regard to books and articles, you better be able to read Russian
for example, you’ll probably need 3rd and 4th volumes of the indespensable Dvoryaninov book, which goes into significant details on evolution of 7.62x39

Max, sorry to hijack the thread, but which volume has the most info on 7.62x25?

Hi,
Can you write me to davrib@hotmail.com and I send you pictures of my collection.

Cheers from Spain

Here is some English language literature concerning the 7.62x39: Simonov SKS-45 Type Carbines, by Wyant Lamont and Stephen Fuller, Technical Ammunition Guide Series 3, Pamphlet 2, by Peter Labbett and Fred Brown, AK-47: The Grim Reaper, by Frank Iannamico. There is also a Finnish book and a Russian book which contain information about the 7.62x39.

I only can seriously recommend not to use “The Grim Reaper” for ammo reference!

jonnyc, volume 3 of the Dworyaninov book does not cover 7.62 mm pistol, but the origins of 9 mm x 18 via 5.45 mm to the modern 7N25.

It is by a big margin the best book on small arms ammunition development(!) I have ever seen. I cannot really read Russian beyond table column headers. But this was my best book buy so far.
Collectors beware, it is highly technical, not at all written for collectors. Most illustrations are of the b/w engineering drawing type; no fancy color photos of caseheads or the like.

Jochem, and I always thought that collectors do need to know technical terms and the technical processes used in ammo manufacture as otherwise no research is possible. Of course it does not matter when one is accumulating shiny things which are preferably not owned by anybody else…
As you indicated the book is not about headstamps, PA, CM and boxes since it is written by an engineer who developed all this and these people do not care for such administrative things.

Jonnyc, all pistol caliber rounds are described in 3rd volume.

Max, are you sure?
As far as I can tell there is only one chapter on pistol ammunition in volume 3 (chapter 3 from page 165 to 226) and it starts in 1945. I see nothing on 7.62 mm pistol cartridge development in volume 3.

JPeelen, you’re right; pre-war developments are not listed in vol.3
7.62x25 is described in some details in vol.1, pp.719-727