7.62X39 Headstamps Needed

The following countries are reported to have either made 7.62x39 or have had it made for them. I need to know what headstamp is used to identify each country.

HEADSTAMPS NEEDED

ALGERIA (HS: ?)
BANGLEDESH (HS: ?)
BURMA (HS: ?)
CANADA (HS: ?)
FRANCE (HS: ?)
GERMANY (WEST) (HS: ?)
INDONESIA (HS: ?)
NIGERIA (HS: ?)
NORWAY (HS: ?)
PAKISTAN (HS: ?)
SUDAN (HS: ?)
THAILAND (HS: ?)
UZBEKISTAN (HS: ?)
ZAIRE (HS: ?)

ALGERIA HS: S (for S

JMG–Thank you for the headstamps. I do have a question on one of them. You list “601” as UZBEKISTAN. From another source I show “601” is used by
KAZAKHSTAN (SINCE 1993). Are you sure about your ID and if Yes, what do you have for KAZAKHSTAN?

I have the following for Nigeria on 7.62 x 51 NATO. Were either or both used on 7.62 x 39?

OFN (Befor 1984 or 85)
AFN (After 1984 or 85)

I have the following for Pakistan on 7.62 x 51 NATO. Was it used on 7.62 x 39?

POF

So, we are down to the following countries which are reported to have either made 7.62x39 or have had it made for them. I need to know what headstamp is used to identify each country.

HEADSTAMPS NEEDED

KAZAKHSTAN (HS: ?)

Ron, the only Canadian 7.62x39mm I know of is a turned steel chamber adaptor or “reducer” that allowed a .22 short to be fired. I personally do not condsider this a bonafide cartridge, so I do not include Canada in the country list for this caliber. As a consequence of it’s design, the “reducer” has no headstamp that I am aware of.

AKMS

Ron, Manurhin manufactured machines for Uzbekistan with the code “601” on the cartridges.
And I have no information on Kazakhstan.

JMG–I just got an email from the collector who had said he thought that “601” was Kazakhstan. Based on your comments he now agrees with you and has re-labeled his round as Uzbekistan.

So, now we have to add Kazakhstan back to the list of Unknown headstamps or is it possible that Kazakhstan does not make 7.62x39 at all.

For JMG = Algerian hstp S is for SERIANA, not Serania…

As far as they did not change the name of the town in the meantime…

Cheers

Philippe

Thanks to Russ Cornell, in an email to me, we can add another country, Zambia - hst is Z28 over 90 cws case/ ball

Also, the headstamp for Bangladesh is BOF 79 762x39 cws case.

So, we are down to 5 countries for which I need the headstamp.

HEADSTAMPS NEEDED

KAZAKHSTAN (HS: ?)

Are you absolutely sure that headstamps exist for those countries in 7.62x39?

Ron, are you aware of any 7.62x39mm cartridges, besides the above-mentioned “reducer”, that are associated with Canada? The only thing that is even close that I can think of is some 1990’s vintage Chinese made lead core ball ammunition that was packed in dual language boxes (English on one side - French on the other) apparently to satisfy the dual-language requirements in Quebec, Canada. I can’t prove this is why the boxes are like that, but they turned up here in Vermont about 150 miles from the Quebec border…Headstamps were regular Chinese…

AKMS

Jon C. & AKMS–No, I do not know if there are are any specific headstamps for those remaining 5 countries. I would think Burma and Zaire would have their own headstamps, but the other three may not. It appears that Canada has not actually produced any live rounds. What is now Kazakhstan did have a factory under the U.S.S.R., but no one seems to know if they continued production after the 1993 break-up. Thailand seems to only have made booby trap rounds for use in Laos, Cambodia and Viet Nam, so, I would assume these would NOT have Thailand headstamps.

Ron, are there any details about tthese cartridges like documents, images or anything else? And how would regular Thai head stamps look like?

Ron, here is an answer that I got from our Canadian military ammo producer:

[quote]We

Missing Something–I guess that pretty well says that Canada never made 7.62x39. I am sure that if it had been made in Canada, IVI would most likely would have been the maker. Thank you for the information.

EOD–No details other than what was posted earlier here on the Forum about the Booby Trap Cartridges.

We are down to probably only 2 countries that we need headstamps for.

HEADSTAMPS NEEDED

Both of these countries were added to my original list becaus of comments from other posts. So, SOMEONE must have these in their collection and can provide the headstamp.

HEADSTAMPS MOST LIKELY NON-EXISTENT

CANADA (JUST AN ADAPTER)

KAZAKHSTAN (PROBABLY HAS NOT PRODUCED SINCE SEPERATION FROM U.S.S.R.))

THAILAND (MOST LIKELY ONLY BOOBY TRAP CARTRIDGES)