7.62x39 M43 Ub

7.62x39 M43 Ub, steel jacket with plastic PVC core (black), lead filler back. Moly coated? Steel case. Headstamp 84/05 - Spreewreke, Lubben, East Germany. Also have pack of blanks that says M43 Platz-p -1-.

The jackets are blackened for ID purposes, not moly coated. Are you sure the back filler is lead? On the specimens I sectioned, the material appears to be some sort of zinc or pot metal.

AKMS

There is also a tracer version of this loading, might make a nice side-by-side shot.

[quote=“AKMS”]… Are you sure the back filler is lead? On the specimens I sectioned, the material appears to be some sort of zinc or pot metal…[/quote]Interesting, my copy of acceptance spec requires lead. The plastic core is not of PVC, according to the spec it is a Polyamide named “Miramid H”, still today offered by BASF in Leuna.

Hans

Tracer, wouldn’t that melt the Polyamide - Miramid H (polly the mermaid). Anyway to test if its lead or zinc?

Upon closer examination, my sections of the M-43 Ub do appear to have lead in the base.

In my experience, lead cores turn from a light grey when first cut to dark grey after time. As I recall, these M-43 Ub sections I did showed the lead to have stayed light grey for longer than usual, so I assumed the material to be something other than lead…

As for the tracer version of this cartridge, the tracer mixture is within a steel cup and there is actually only a small plastic core in the tip of the projectile. Even if it melted or got soft, there would be nowhere for it to go…

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]… As for the tracer version of this cartridge, the tracer mixture is within a steel cup and there is actually only a small plastic core in the tip of the projectile. Even if it melted or got soft, there would be nowhere for it to go…[/quote]… and it only has fractions of a second to cause problems.

Hans