7.62x39 Queries

No, Tomas said they reduced the load in order to shoot it away in normal guns as the HPTs were surplus and un-sellable in this state.

Hi Ron, this blank was made by F. Engels Machine Building Plant, Kazanlak, Bulgaria. The case was manufactured by Prvi Partizan, Uzice, Yugoslavia.

Regards,

Fede

Thank you. I misread the description. :(

Fede, is there any background info about this?

Alex, they are packed in plain boxes but bundles contain a Bulgarian label indicating the manufacturer (10).

Regards,

Fede

Fede, do images exist? I have never seen teh box or labels for these (unfortunately).

I understand the PPU connection is concluded from the hs font?

Yes, if you compare this headstamp to PPU examples the manufacturer is the same. Below you can see a picture of the label found in 280 rd. bundles.

606-85%2010

2 Likes

Fede, very interesting! I have never seen such a label. Excellent!

The big question is why would Arsenal buy cases from PPU when they were making these themselfes?

I assume the reason was that in the 80’s they didn’t have a production line set up for drawing extended blank cases and it was cheaper or easier to purchase new unprimed cases abroad. They done the same with cases headstamped just “88” at 6 o’clock, that in this case look like Veszprém products.

1 Like

Interesting thought!
Yes, I am aware of the “88”.

I know a “10 89” extended blank and a 1960 blank (39mm case) that has a wooden projectile.

Are any other (earlier or later) extended blanks known from Bulgaria with hs 10 + year ?

Alex, yes there are. In my drawers you saw following years on extended copper plated plated cases:

62, 63, 65 with red case crimp seal
65 with blue primer annulus and wax case crimp seal
All above actually loaded in DDR btw.

66, 70 with blue case crimp seal
89, 91 with red crimp seal

Hans

Re Czech bxn 83…I have the exact same YOM - it’s loaded with slightly higher powder charge of standard double base propellant (equal to current Lovex D063) used in Czechoslovakia after 1976 (before this year the loads were done with single base tubular propellant equal to Lovex S053) - will check during weekend what was the “proof load charge” and what we have loaded to be slightly below the CIP max. pressure.
On the other hand the proof load with heavier/longer bullet is loaded usually with faster single base S040

Hans, thanks a lot! I should have paid much more attention back then!!!

Means BG had the capacity and machinery to produce such cases itself.

Alex, no doubt they had the capacity and machinery to do it, but there are no reported extended blanks dated after 1971 and before 1989. In any case, even if eventually someone find examples from those years, it does not exclude the possibility assumed above.

I agree, history has shown that connections between manufacturers (across borders) are hard to explain and also there are many unknown factors which are influencing the subject.
A nice exception and good to see the details you brought forward, especially the Arsenal label for the “1983” PPU hs.

Ron, do you know the source or have more information about the unheadstamped “grenade blank”?

No extra info. Obtained from an Aussie collection that was split up. Possibly came from USA years ago. The label photo-copy was in the plastic bag when purchased.

Thanks everyone for the great info on my items.

Those unheadstamped “Spanish” blanks were around about 20+ years ago. At the time I recall thinking that they were US-made, on a contract for supply to the Contras. Unfortunately nothing in-hand to document that.

I talked back to Russ Cornell as for the grenade blank and the Spanish language label.
He gave his ok to repost his info here.

Russ says the cartridge is a commercial C&T (Arizona, USA) product in a Bell case and that these were sold in the US years ago.
The label does not belong to this cartridge and Russ suspects it to be for DAG grenade blanks (which I so far saw in translucent green plastic packs of 10 EA but then with English markings on and in a different text layout).

1 Like

I also recall getting my example in a little zip-lock with that same Spanish label copy, way back when the Williamsport Show was still at Lycoming College.