7.62x39 SUDAN in 2010

I just read a HSBA report on what they were tracing and watching and came across this hs on a Sudanese 7.62x39 made in 2010:

So far the latest production I know of and even more important it looks like a copper clad steel case (those we have seen before were brass if I recall it correctly). Any thoughts?

SOURCE:
Sudan Human Security Baseline Assessment (HSBA)
Small Arms Survey * 47 Avenue Blanc * 1202 Geneva * Switzerland
smallarmssurveysudan.org

Is the rim really that bad?

sudan 762x39mm with copper washed steel cases are also know to be made in 2005, 07, and 09. the one in the hst is a lot number- lot 2 and 3 are also know.

russ c

So, is the “39” a factory code or short for x39?

short for x39

russ c

Russ, thanks for the update on the steel case years!

Just to support the point by Russ, here some more headstamps from what I believe to be Sudanese ammunition of 7.62x39 and 7.62x54. There are also headstamps with a 4 at the 12 o’clock position

[quote=“russx39”]sudan 762x39mm with copper washed steel cases are also know to be made in 2005, 07, and 09. the one in the hst is a lot number- lot 2 and 3 are also know.

russ c[/quote]
HBSA apparently does not to know it all (e. g. the use of the case length as a calibre designator in the headstamp was unique [color=#0000FF]to Sudan[/color]), but they state in their documents that 1, 2 and 3 are the manufacturer mark. Is a proof out there for the one information or the other?

Hans

[color=#0000FF]Edited[/color]

Those earlier examples made the 2010 round look like quality ammunition.

Also, look at the primer on the “2 54 08” 7.62 x 54R. That looks like it was either really badly pressed in, or the round produced seriously excessive pressures. Or is it just similar couloured dust stuck in the recess around the primer cup?

I wonder if the machinery was made in Sudan, or it could have been made from stuff that was obtained from wherever they could find it. I would like to see what the factory looks like. The packets would also be interesting to see.

Is there any idea where the factory is? I would think it is now located in the new North Sudan.

Still, yet more headstamps that I’m sure the x39 and x54R collectors would be glad to have.

[quote=“Hans”][quote=“russx39”]sudan 762x39mm with copper washed steel cases are also know to be made in 2005, 07, and 09. the one in the hst is a lot number- lot 2 and 3 are also know.

russ c[/quote]
HBSA apparently does not to know it all (e. g. the use of the case length as a calibre designator in the headstamp was unique), but they state in their documents that 1, 2 and 3 are the manufacturer mark. Is a proof out there for the one information or the other?

Hans[/quote]

HSBA has other reports on artillery ammunition where they misidentified the manufacturer and do blame Russia now.
Also they show AT mines and do misidentify them even they are some of the most common types.
They need some professional advice.

I seem to recall there was a complex at Yarmouk (yes, another), in the South of the capital Khartoum.

Hans

Agree.

Hans

Forgot, Sanders, great imnages again! Thank you for sharing.