7.62x39 TPZ KOPP

Anyone have any good info on a 7.62x39 headstamped “7.62 x 39 TPZ KOPP”? The only info I have is that the components MAY(??) have been made by Tula and the cartridges were assembled in Czechoslovakia(??). All or none of this may be true. The case is lacquered steel with a magnetic bullet, red casemouth and PA with a brass primer.

For one of my simple mind, the Kopp story is somewhat complicated. Firstly, “Kopp” is the firm of Kopp TPZ s.r.p., Pavlice, Czech Republic. The initials “TPZ” stand for, without question,“Tulsky Patronney Zavod” (other spellings of this transliteration from Cyrillic are possible). That translates to “Tula Cartridge Works” to use the name Tula uses. Some translate it to “Tula Cartridge Factory,” which is probably correct also, but NOT as Tula uses it. Obviously, Kopp of the Czech Republic and Tula made some sort of manufacturing agreement, for the KOPP TPZ headstamp to exist, and for KOPP to have eventually put it into their own company name. (There are KOPP headstamps, including some that are obviously Russian made cases, in other calibers, that do not include “TPZ”).

To make it more complicated, ammunition with the KOPP headstamp was sold under the NIMROD brand name by Nimrod G.m.b.H., Jacd.-Sprtsbedarfs und Feuerwers Artikal, of Sch

John–Thanks for all that information. Now the question is which country, Russia or Czech Republic, should they be assigned to for cataloging. I think I will list it as Czech Republic, since they seem to be the marketing country, with the note that the components are made by TPZ.

That’s always an arbitrary question in a case like this. I usually go by the case manufacturer, justified especially in this instance because of the TPZ included in the headstamp, so I would go Russian. However, your choice is absolutely every bit as valid as mine. Kopp is/was a Czech Company.

By the way, anytime I say that “so and so is a such and such company” I am going by the precise factory’s company name and location. With a very few parent conglomerates, like RUAG, ATK, etc. owning the majority of the world’s European and American ammunition companies, I am NOT talking about the parent company and the country they are associated with. Sometimes I don’t even know anymore who in h…l owns who.

Just wanted to clarify that.

John–Yes, it is hard to decide in some cases what country to list them under. For instance, Weatherby cartridges made in Sweden and Germany. Since Weatherby is a U.S. company who contracted to have some of their ammo made in Sweden and Germany, but it was not sold by Norma or RWS, only by Weatherby in the U.S., I consider all of the cartridges to be U.S. Had they marketed them in Norma or RWS boxes, even with Weatherby headstamps, then that would be different.

So, by that reasoning, since I assume TPZ did not market these in their own boxes, then the Czech Republic wins out.

I do not want to make it complicated but I got 7.62x39 TPZ-Kopp boxes from Russia.

That doesn’t surprise me at all. I think it is certain that some of the rounds were manufactured completely in Russia. I also think some were probably Russian cases loaded elsewhere - likely the Czech Republic. I don’t have any such rounds in 7.62 x 39, but I have several different KOPP headstamps in 9mm Para, and one in 9x18m/m Makarov. Some of the 9mm Para variants are NUPE cases.

I beleive that the 7.62x39mm cartridges were completely made by Tula. Everything about them suggests this. The lacquered steel case, the red seals, even the unique lead core-boattailed projectile with large airspace in the tip. This same exact projectile design continues to this day to be a unique product of Tula in their “WOLF” line…

It does not make sense to for a Czech arsenal to use red lacquered seals for one special run of ammo using componants made in Russia, when this is not a typical Czech practice. They probably don’t even have the equipment to do so.

I think this was simply an end-run around an import ban…

AKMS

I have heard a number of things related to Kopp. One was that early funding (some or all—unclear) came from Tula. I have also heard that Kopp evolved into Libra. The only circumstantial evidence of this I have seen was at one Czech show a guy turned up with lots of Libra stuff including early stuff, and some of it was in fact early Tula 9x19mm with headstamps I have never seen before or since.

I have no idea of the validity of this information, and have made no attempt to follow it up.

OK, I’m convinced, I’ll move the listing to Russian Federation.

[quote=“Lew”]I have heard a number of things related to Kopp. One was that early funding (some or all—unclear) came from Tula. I have also heard that Kopp evolved into Libra. The only circumstantial evidence of this I have seen was at one Czech show a guy turned up with lots of Libra stuff including early stuff, and some of it was in fact early Tula 9x19mm with headstamps I have never seen before or since.

I have no idea of the validity of this information, and have made no attempt to follow it up.[/quote]

Lew,
The zinc washed Libra case I got in 9x19 came from Russia and was declared as made by Ulyanovsk. Comparing it to Ulayanovsk stamped ones (laquered) shows the same pointed type of projectile.