7.62x39 with a black bullet

I ask you to help to identify a cartridge with a strange bullet (in middle). Originally I have assumed that it is a bullet have darkened because of a patina, but the primer hasn’t darkened and bullet have a covering like a covering of a bullet of M43 Üb cartridge. The design and bullet weight are usual. The primer is sealed by a black varnish, usual for German cartridges, but the bullet has remains of a green varnish

Has forgotten to tell. All cartridges from a picture have arrived from one source and were stored before purchase in identical conditions

2moutrage,

it is a high pressure test cartridge. Guess it is a very good find because so far there are only DDR made HPT known by 05, congratulations!

Hans

Hans,
It is very interesting theory, but what for HPT cartridges in Afghanistan? But it is possible you are right. In the USSR there were two types of HPT cartridges. One type was applied to tests of preparations of barrels by manufacture of the weapon and limits of factories didn’t leave. This type had original design of a bullet. The second type of HPT cartridges intended for tests of durability of the weapon after continuous exploitation. This type of cartridges had the increased charge of gunpowder and a bullet of usual design, but painted in black color. All was probable in DDR precisely also.

2moutrage,

a chemically blackened regular ball bullet is the indicator for the DDR HPT. I agree, finding such in Afghanistan is very odd. You mention remains of a green varnish, to me on the picture it looks not glossy, so this is corrosion maybe?

Hans

Earlier I have inspected the varnish rests on other cartridges and they as not the glossy. As I have a little tracers at which there is no color identification mark at bullets (first foto). Possibly it is result of an excited environment in which cartridges were stored. There is one Polish tracer at which the bullet has darkened (second foto). But this covering non-uniformly, differs from a covering of an unknown cartridge and is unequivocally identified as a patina. (“ППУ 1987” from other source)