7.62x41mm Replica

Here is my completed prototype replica of the Soviet 7.61x41mm M-1943 cartridge, the precursor to the more commonly known 7.62x39mm M-1943.

This replica is based on measurements from an actual specimen and an image of the projectile, both provided by P. Regenstreif.

For those who have seen an actual, authentic 7.62x41mm M-1943 cartridge, please tell me if this appears to be a correct representation.

The replica is shown next to a standard Soviet 7.62x39mm cartridge for comparison.

I apologize for the poor image work. I am not a photographer!



It seems to be a good job, especially on the second picture, as for the first one, the shadow makes the replica to look “fatter” than it is.


Thank you Philippe. I assume that the extractor groove on the original is copper plated instead of lacquered? Are there any other known variations of case material besides copper washed steel?


AKMS–The replica looks very good to me. I only hope you have marked it in some way so that future collectors (if were still allowed to collect) will know it is not an original.

As far as I know, only CWS cases did show up. And the groove is coppered, not lacquered, on my specimen.


Thank you again Philippe.

I will be marking the case “replica” with an electric pen as soon as I can locate one.


If you’re making more, suitably marked of course, I’d be interested in one.

I might make some more if I can find a supply of CWS blank cartridges to be “donors”. I need to refine my copper plating process as well…

On this prototype, I removed the original headstamp. But, I was thinking afterwards that leaving the headstamp in place would be a good way to identify the cartridge as “not original”.

If and when I get around to making a few more, I’ll let ya’ll know.


I would agree that leaving the original h/s is a good idea. I’ll see if I have a few PRC CWS blanks that I can “donate” to the project.

I would be also interested in one



you might use a T45 bullet - without the green tip of course - then you’d have a bullet ogive that looks like the original, not like a Czech …


Beautiful work.

For this prototype, I used a Chinese 7.62x39mm blank cartridge. I have located a small plating shop here in town that will copper plate some cases for me whenever I need it. I have considered the possibility of using some of the more common Russian blanks that are available if I can find a way to remove the lacquer coating without much trouble. I’ve thought about trying some different solvents, but don’t think I’ll have much luck with the stuff I can get at the local hardware store. I used the projectile from a Czech 7.62x45mm cartridge because it gave the correct length when seated to the cannelure. The ogive is slightly more pointed than the original appears to be, but is closer than a T-45 in my opinion. Plus, with the T-45, I would have to seat the projectile deeper and have no cannelure to crimp into. I’d also like to find someone who has a tool for making a proper cannelure to more closely match the original. I know they are out there for handloaders. Other committments have kept me from going any farther with this project for now, but I have not forgotten about it and will post an update when I get back to it.


[quote=“AKMS”]if I can find a way to remove the lacquer coating without much trouble. I’ve thought about trying some different solvents, but don’t think I’ll have much luck with the stuff I can get at the local hardware store.

Try using some industrial paint thinner if you can get it. I have a small amount in a jar. I have never had a problem removing lacquer with that stuff, I just leave the case in the jar overnight and the lacquer is all gone by the morning. Not sure how well this would do an lacquer that is put on steel cases when they are made, I have only ever removed lacquer that was put on by individuals to make their polished shiny cartridge stay shiny.

The easiest might be you go and take the nail laquer remover of your wife.

I’d like one if you make some more.

The lacquer used on the cases is not the same as that used for sealing the primers and case mouths, or the type people preserve with. It is my understanding that the case finish lacquer is baked-on. I know of people who have tried to get this case finish to melt at high temperatures with no success. Seems that there are a lot of people who will not use lacquered steel cased ammunition becase they heard that the lacquer will melt in the chamber of their rifle, causing jams. To disprove this, I know of people who baked these cases at high temps in ovens and even heated them with an acetylene torch. The best they could get was to char the lacquer and turn it to ash. It is some tough stuff!


It might be better to take copper plated blanks then as a raw material.