7,62x51 Dummy ID

I would need the model name of these two 7,62x51 Dummies.
7,62x51 FA 1
7,62x51 FA 2

The top cartridge is a M63, bottom I don’t know.

The top cartridge pre-dates the M63 designation and I believe it is the T70E5. If it is very light in feel at the projectile, it has a 68gr. hollow jacket for the bullet. (Ref. HWS 3 p.172).

The bottom cartridge I have listed as an inert loading of the M80 but with an FA 59 headstamp. (Ref. HWS 3 p.227).

Dave

Boy if this doesn’t beat all! I have the 2 cartridges in the photos, only the bottom one is a LC 60 instead of a FA 60 and no cannelure on the bullet. The top cartridge is identical to mine. Looks like I misidentified them. Live & learn!

Tom,

The T70E5 was standardized as the 7.62mm NATO Dummy M63 in 1954. The earlier designation would be considered a Cal. .30 Light Rifle cartridge as it was “pre-NATO”. You in essence had it right, but someone has to do some of the late Ray’s nitpicking!

I do not have have an example of nor can I find a reference to a cartridge like the second item with a (+) LC 60 headstamp. My example is (+) FA 59 but otherwise identical.

Any chance you can post a picture? There are many variations of Dummy/Inert Light Rifle and NATO cartridges out there and I’m always interested to see something new!

Thanks,
Dave

The top cartridge is head stamped FA 50 and has 2 cannelures. The bottom is head stamped LC nato meatball 60 with 1 cannelure. No holes on either cartridge.

I will be sure to quote you if anyone asks why, from now on, I keep calling NATO marked ammo a NATO Meatball Round! laugh

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answers. They help me a lot.

I always thought “Meatball” was the common recognized term for that NATO symbol!

1 Like

Am I wrong in thinking that the FA 60 round in the first post differs markedly from the LC 60 one mentiioned later ?

The FA 60 one is without flutes and has a silver coloured bullet, something I’ve not seen before on a US 7,62 NATO dummy … are these bullets common and just passed me by ?

Pete

Pete,

You are correct. The bottom item shown in Tom’s picture with, as he indicates, a (+) LC 60 headstamp is an M63 dummy cartridge. The second item in the original post is an inert loading with a “stannic stained” projectile. HWS 3 indicates that known headstamps include (+) FA 59, (+) FA 60 and (+) FA 65. The (+) FA 59 example I have seems to have an M80 projectile per its magnetic signature.

Dave

Tom,

Thanks for posting the picture of your cartridges. The bottom one you show seems to be an M63 dummy and, on close inspection, has a cannelured bullet as well as the heavy neck cannelure.

Does the top item you show also have (2) dots in the headstamp?

Dave

Lawks, but I’m hankering after one of those FA 60 dummies, from their introduction there have been relatively few variatioins in US service issue dummies … is it known what the inert loading was for ?

Pete

Yes, the top cartridge has two dots between the FA and the 50. Just like the first 7.62mm pictured. So have we figured out the model # of each of mine?

Tom,

Your item with the FA . 50 . headstamp is the Cal. 30 Light Rifle T70E5 Dummy and the one with the (+) LC 60 headstamp is the 7.62mm NATO M63 Dummy. They are pretty much the same cartridge, just one is pre-NATO and the other is the later adopted designation.

Dave

Thank You Dave!