ptd gmcs fmj
black tip
FB pr
purple PA
ring pr crimp
dbl jkt cann.
H/S K 66 L2A2 +
Lynn has written on the side of the case “NAVAL ISSUE A/P”

How common are these British made AP rounds? Are they a non standard item? as I can’t find any information on British AP production rounds.

Although when developing the British versions of the 7.62 x 51 round in 1953-4 an AP round was considered, no AP subsequently was approved for service. However, the Royal Navy apparently purchased small quantities of AP from Kynoch for destroying floating mines and these were identified by a black bullet tip.

This suggests to me that the bullets were bought in from a manufacturer (possibly FN) already making 7.62mm AP bullets to NATO spec with a black tip.

I have the same round and have only ever seen that headstamp but there may be other batches.

Regards
TontE

[quote=“NZ L1A1 Collector”]Now for a new round to get ID’ed

ptd gmcs fmj
FB pr
green PA
3 stake pr crimp
H/S * 10 * 7,62x51

[/quote]

The headstamp lettering looks Austrian to me, Hirtenberg uses lettering like that. Could be a contract load for South Africa.

[quote=“TonyE”]Although when developing the British versions of the 7.62 x 51 round in 1953-4 an AP round was considered, no AP subsequently was approved for service. However, the Royal Navy apparently purchased small quantities of AP from Kynoch for destroying floating mines and these were identified by a black bullet tip.

This suggests to me that the bullets were bought in from a manufacturer (possibly FN) already making 7.62mm AP bullets to NATO spec with a black tip.

I have the same round and have only ever seen that headstamp but there may be other batches.

Regards
TontE[/quote]

Thanx for the info Tony, now I need a sea mine to go with it :-D

[quote=“Cyberwombat”][quote=“NZ L1A1 Collector”]Now for a new round to get ID’ed

ptd gmcs fmj
FB pr
green PA
3 stake pr crimp
H/S * 10 * 7,62x51

[/quote]

The headstamp lettering looks Austrian to me, Hirtenberg uses lettering like that. Could be a contract load for South Africa.[/quote]

I was thinking along the same lines that it might be a Hirtenberg made round, I’ll mark it as Austrian for now until someone can positively ID the headstamp.

Thanx for you input

Those “10” rounds are definitely HP. I remember being told they were on a contract for Indonesia. IIRC, that info came from Josi Motz, so I’m pretty confident of it.

Thanx for the info John, another one sorted out. :-)

The “10” rounds are definitely HP export contract ammo: made for West Germany (at the time) and also other Buyers; Made to Nato Stanag specifications (noncorrosive Berdan primer, Nitro Powder, 147 grain projectile.); packed in typical 20 round German style packets (4x5 arrangement). Battle packs of heavy plastic of 200 rounds, or Wooden crate of 1000. (either carton packed, or 5 BPs in crate.)

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics