7.62x51 Low Recoil

7.62x51mm low recoil, copper plated steel projectile, white tip, headstamp - */FA/66

XM256? Developed by Col. Burkett with CIA for small stature Asian soldiers using M60 for accuracy? Got it listed as 82 grain light wieght ball. Not AP?

quite a few variations in the low recoil with mostly bullet base configurations (xray) with some case variation too…sorry only one sectioned round in this poor photo

Any figures concerning bullet + propellant weights and muzzle velocities?

It would be interesting to compare these with the CETME and Japanese low-recoil 7.62x51 which actually entered service (and in the Japanese case, are still around I believe).

The one wolf showed is the XM256, using the nominal 82 grain upper bullet from the M198 Duplex. Typical load was 41 grains of IMR 4198 for a velocity of 3200 fps. Because of the cavity in the bullet’s base, this load was not too accurate. The XM256E1 was developed which used the same bullet but without the cavity, weighing a nominal 90 grains. This load used 38 grains of IMR 4198 for a velocity of 3100 fps. The XM256E1 case was headstamped FA 66.

Ray

Thanks Ray.

Ray,
Is there any credible information on whether or not the steel bullet cores in the M198, XM256, & XM256E1 cartridges are hardened?

Thanks,
                                              Carey

Carey. I’ve not seen that mentioned anywhere. I probably have some pulled ones in a drawer somewhere and I could put a file to them if you think that anecdotal evidence is enough. They are not cores, BTW. They are solid steel, copper plated.

Ray

Ray,
Thanks for the clarification on the steel bullets. I see it now. Don’t ruin any of your bullets just for my curiosity. I had the chance to buy a few unopened boxes of XM256E1 cartridges (FA 66); should have bought 'em.

Thanks,
                                                   Carey

Carey

I had to satisfy my own curiosity, XM256 bullets are tough, but they can be cut with a file. I only have a couple of the XM256E1 so didn’t try them, but I’d suspect they are the same.

The XM256E1 cartridges are hard enough to find, much less a box. I think it is Lew that has some empty boxes but not a full one. I’d like to have either one.

Ray

Ray,
Thanks for the file-test results. Here is one of the XM256E1 boxes but I don’t remember who had them for sale. As I remember it, the owner thought that the bullets were made of aluminum.

Carey